Seagate Barracuda 2 TB, 7200 rpm vs WD Green 2 TB, 7200 rpm

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
So between this this two drives which one do you guys say thats better for me? I like gaming and want it to be good in the future. Dont care about noise much. Ill also do some video editing and will only have one of this drives. So questions are:
1.)Which will last longer (and for how much)
2.)Which is more reliable
3.)Which one is going to give me best gaming preformance

Answer to at least one, but I would be very happy if I could get answers to all.

Solution
load times...open world scenery, especially refresh. I tried stalker once on a old 100gb 8mb once in stalker then jumped to my new 64mb cache Seagate.....big difference. all that rendering takes cache and hdd speed. the WD green and Seagate is not even worth to argue about a 1 to .5 fps drop.

ARICH5

Distinguished
the Seagate. the green model of WD is a eco model, thus the green designation. as for gaming performance when put side by side its like a 3.6% difference, barely noticeable for the WD to be better. were not talking massive 10 fps framedrops.

id say: buy what you can afford now cuz hdd's are easily upgradeable.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Barracuda is 2€ more expensive. Which one will last longer and how much FPs diff will there be?

ARICH5

Distinguished

none at all that youd notice. a 3.6% difference equates to .8 fps. I have a that Seagate and its very good...hitman absolution loads very fast for me. theres not enough longevity information in about the WD green yet to be difinative. your choice for a 2 quid difference.

festerovic

Distinguished
"as for gaming performance when put side by side its like a 3.6% difference, barely noticeable for the WD to be better. were not talking massive 10 fps framedrops."

What does this mean? Since when do HDDs render frames in games?

ARICH5

Distinguished
load times...open world scenery, especially refresh. I tried stalker once on a old 100gb 8mb once in stalker then jumped to my new 64mb cache Seagate.....big difference. all that rendering takes cache and hdd speed. the WD green and Seagate is not even worth to argue about a 1 to .5 fps drop.

Solution
WD Green are not 7200RPM IIRC.. they are 5400RPM...
So please link your 7200RPM Spec "greens"..

You wont lose FPS by going green - but the slower drives will mean longer load times....(at start of game and between levels etc).

Lower spin speed might mean longer life.. but equally it might mean they cheaper as they lower spec.. so might fail as often.. who knows.. with HDD its always a bit of a lottery..but WD has a decent reputation.

HTH
Cheers

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

It is 7200rpm.

Like I said.. link me the info.. I don't believe you.. if you look at WD .. it says Rotational speed = "intellipower". which means "3 A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each WD Green drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM."... which is not the same as saying it 7200 RPM..(by a LONG shot). But it does not discount it being 7200.. but unless you can show me a spec sheet that confirms ...I would be very careful as in the past - these have been 5400.. or 5900 I think.

Cheers

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

http://www.mimovrste.com/artikel/2060159427/trdi-disk-wd-green-2-tb-7200-rpm-64-mb-sata-iii-wd20ezrx

Interesting.. and you trusting a site that selling stuff.. when WD will not confirm it on theirs? your very brave.. but at least it means you can return it if it not 7200RPM (which I still don't believe it is... you can be sure WD would advertise heavily that it 7200 RPM if it was.. and not use this "intellipower" nonsense.. which is specifically designed to confuse the issue).

Anyway - Im sure you know best.
Good luck.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

You got a point there.

What about Seagate?

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks to you both!

So is seagate better?

s-h-a-w-n

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

He is right its not 7200RPM. Each model with IntelliPower has a fixed adapted rotational speed. So its slower.

I bought a Green for my server in 2010 before the Red were created, I used it a lot (24/7 - 20000 hours). And it is still working fine. I do not recommand this drive as a system drive, this should be a second drive for storage only. I have excessive head parking (>600000) due tu the fact that this drive wasn't design to have an OS installed on.

To respond to your question:
1) The WD Green is less stressed since it has been designed for power efficiency, so it should last longer
2) The WD Green for the same reason should be more reliable
3) The Seagate since it is a full speed drive

Get the Seagate since you are going to install an OS and you use your computer for gaming.