[SOLVED] Seagate Barracuda 2 TB - Disk noises (only happens in my PC)

Mar 2, 2022
Hi everyone, how are you? :)
I'm bothering you all with a strange issue that afflicts my HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7.2K RPM, Model ST2000DM008).
I recently bought a HDD for my new PC I've just built, but I don't know why my hard drive keeps making clicking random noise every 2-3 mins around.
What makes this event more strange is that it only happens with my current PC, this does not happen if I plugged to my old PC.
I ran some HDDs scanners and haven't found any issue :(
Current PC Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X
  • HSF: Noctua NH-D15S
  • MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A Gaming
  • RAM: Vengeance RGB Pro White 3600Mhz
  • SSD: M.2 WD 1 TB SN750
  • HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 7.2K RPM - ST2000DM008
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X 850 W
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 TI
Thanks in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hi, welcome to Tom's

You don't want clicking noises on a hdd, I would back up anything you want to keep and maybe use another drive, it might be fine as a storage drive though. Clicking could be the read head hitting the platter, it shouldn't do that every 2 or so minutes, if at all.
Try running this: https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

Software may not see a problem if its hardware at fault.

Solution

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Howeve, not to scare anyone - define "clicking".

My Western Digital makes a low noise when booting up. The previous WD before them made bearly any noise. A WD 4TB drive also bearly makes any noise in my Home PC. Some may call this "clicking" but it's more the "scraping" sort of end of a click than "tapping".

However, I went through a Seagate IronWolf and Seagate Compute - both had very loud "clicks" - the SeagateTools did not say there was anything wrong, although the company I sent it back to said there was a problem with the drive, but that may have just been so they saved face.

Here's a video of the noise from the Seagate when booting up.