[SOLVED] Seagate BarraCuda 2TB in new build makes some noise is this normal or problem?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I only hear it because I was close to it, don't know if it's just because it's new--breaking in--maybe some vibration, I only could hear it because I was up close to it. Being mechanical I can understand it might make some sounds; just wondering if it's a problem because my return date is coming up soon. I'd read some reviews of the Barracuda stating noise issues being part of a problem, what do you think?

Solution
Are you referring to this hard drive in particular?

I got the same one and hear some occasional sounds from it but it hasn't given me any problems. It's normal to hear some sound from mechanical drives.

Assuming you bought it new it should come with a 2 year warranty so even if you miss the return date from where ever you bought it, Seagate should still honor the warranty if it turns out to be a defective drive.

Furzumz

Reputable

I got the same one and hear some occasional sounds from it but it hasn't given me any problems. It's normal to hear some sound from mechanical drives.

Assuming you bought it new it should come with a 2 year warranty so even if you miss the return date from where ever you bought it, Seagate should still honor the warranty if it turns out to be a defective drive.

Solution

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Yes, that's the one. I was doing the build on a cardboard box (43" monitor box) and so it amplified the vibration. Have it up on the shelf above me and not hearing anything.

Reactions: Furzumz