[SOLVED] Seagate Barracuda 2TB slow issue

Feb 9, 2019
Hello Forum,

Recently I bought a Seagate Barracuda 2TB. And it's slow and hangs my Windows OS. It has it's own powerlane on my PSU and a overpriced SATA 3 cable. I've tried different ports on my motherboard.
The Barracuda has a very tough time when transfering files or processing anything that's bigger than a couple gbs of small files or something I'd assume. It goes to 100% active time for the entire proces.
The problem with it is that when it's stuck at 100% active time for like 30 min after the task was done. When I try to restart my computer it's stuck for the same time until I guess the harddrive stops being stuck or something. I'm assuming the harddrive is telling windows to not power off until it's done with itself.
I know that big files with lots a small files takes a lot of time but it's literally slowing down my whole Windows OS while my Windows OS is installed on a SSD that's running on a different powerline even.

The problem occurs with Onedrive sync, Windows explorer moving files, Mega sync. (These programs read and write intensively I think)
I've already done defragment (which took 3 days).
I've done CHKDSK /f and /r on all my drives.
I'm running a virus scanner and scanned all the files. (Even tried the processes without virus scanner)
The harddrive is in AHCI mode.

The Barracuda drive works kinda fine when just doing normal tasks and quick tasks or working with smaller files.
What sounds logical to me that the Barracuda drive is breaking my storage controller driver or something I don't know. I guess somewhere there's gotta be a priority mode in windows where it's giving my third HDD more priority over my main SSD.
I'd also like to know if there's a option to give my Barracuda HDD some headroom instead of ramping up from zero to 100% constantly

Specs:
Intel i7 7800x
MSI x299
AMD R9 280x
Corsair Force 3 SSD (OS Drive)
WDC WD10 HDD
Barracuda ST2000DM008
Corsair RM850x

Kind Regards.
ELEC

Solution
The Seagate "DM" series are truly terrible disks.

Given the time it took to initiate and the the read speeds shown by CrystalDiskMark, just clone your disk to a new Toshiba or HGST disk.
Feb 9, 2019
It's the Barracuda ST2000DM008.
I tried Crystal Disk Mark and this is the result
ZV88ZaG.png

The test took like 6-10 min to initiate.

EDIT I redid the test at a reboot.
SSD:
E59bbcs.png

HDD1:
YH4VJcw.png

Barracuda:
NIdEVgz.png

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
The Seagate "DM" series are truly terrible disks.

Given the time it took to initiate and the the read speeds shown by CrystalDiskMark, just clone your disk to a new Toshiba or HGST disk.

Solution