Seagate Barracuda 3000gb st3000dm001 External

eromeroma

Commendable
May 5, 2016
I have two of this, someday one of them just did not work. It was no problem because I have two, but few days ago the second did not work too! I checked the AC adpater power supply and it was working fine, so I removed the case to get access at the naked hard drive. I tryied to plug directly to my computer with an usb cord, and the hard drive works fine, except I can´t read all my data!. Windows 7 send a message that I need for format in order I can use it. I hope it was just a drivers problem. Please help!

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, eromeroma!

Unfortunately, taking the HDD out of the original enclosure most probably voided the warranty on the product, so you might not be able to RMA it and get a replacement. :( If the HDD works fine outside of the case, you might be dealing with a failed enclosure.
Most of the bigger external hard drives are configured with different LBAs, so you might not be able to avoid the reformatting of the drive if you plan to use it internally (via SATA) or without the original enclosure.
If you haven't tried this already, get the HDDs back in the enclosures and try using different USB cables. If you are still unable to detect them, you should also try plugging them to a different computer.

I'd suggest you...
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, eromeroma!

Unfortunately, taking the HDD out of the original enclosure most probably voided the warranty on the product, so you might not be able to RMA it and get a replacement. :( If the HDD works fine outside of the case, you might be dealing with a failed enclosure.
Most of the bigger external hard drives are configured with different LBAs, so you might not be able to avoid the reformatting of the drive if you plan to use it internally (via SATA) or without the original enclosure.
If you haven't tried this already, get the HDDs back in the enclosures and try using different USB cables. If you are still unable to detect them, you should also try plugging them to a different computer.

I'd suggest you contact the HDD manufacturer's customer support for assistance with this and also consider getting in touch with a professional data recovery company, if the data on the external drives is that important to you.

Hope this helps, though. Keep me posted. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution