Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 just a few questions

mother242

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Ok this is going to sound very n00by but should the hard drive come with power/SATA connection cables. Also i have a Lite On CD/DVD drive will my PSU have a power cable for it. it didn't come with a cable either so again same question will the motherboard/psu supply cables or will i need to buy them. Also if i need to buy cable what are the cables that i will need to buy

thx 4 yr elp

Solution
OEM hard drives do not come with cables. Your power supply will have the SATA power cables, just make sure you have enough. They are usually black and thin and if you look at them they have a bunch of little "pins" in them. The other connector for drives is called molex which connect to older drives. These have four large pins that you can easily see. Your motherboard probably came with some SATA drive connectors. If these reach use those to connect your motherboard to your hard drive and CD/DVD drive. If you need cables, just buy any SATA II cables that are long enough to reach your drives. If you do not have enough SATA power cables buy a splitter that will take one connector and make it 2 or 3 or 4. Good luck.

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
OEM hard drives do not come with cables. Your power supply will have the SATA power cables, just make sure you have enough. They are usually black and thin and if you look at them they have a bunch of little "pins" in them. The other connector for drives is called molex which connect to older drives. These have four large pins that you can easily see. Your motherboard probably came with some SATA drive connectors. If these reach use those to connect your motherboard to your hard drive and CD/DVD drive. If you need cables, just buy any SATA II cables that are long enough to reach your drives. If you do not have enough SATA power cables buy a splitter that will take one connector and make it 2 or 3 or 4. Good luck.

Solution

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I've never seen a Sata-150 data cable so I guess any one passes Sata-300. But not Sata-600 when it eventually comes.

You also find Molex-to-Sata power splitters. Lose one Molex but gain 2 Sata power connectors at once.

eBay of course. Directly from Hong Kong or Shanghai.

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
You have to look and see. We dont know how many connectors you have available or what type of connector your DVD drive needs. There is a good chance that you will have a connector though.