Question Seagate BarraCuda / BarraCuda pro alternatives

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Hello,

So i was looking for Seagate BarraCuda pro 14 to 18 Tb HDD but i can't find it here in Canada or any decent size (10 Tb or above) Seagate BarraCuda pro. I heard that Seagate discontinued the Barracuda series and I don't think Seagate Ironwolf (NAS) or Exos (for Servers/data centers) will be good for me.

So, are there any alternatives of Seagate BarraCuda pro or non pro you can recommend in which I can find at least 14tb ,if not more, of space?

Thanks.

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Why not?
And what will this drive be used for?
Steam library games Backup, Old Games' Setups/Installs, Application Setups, Videos, Projects (Music, Photoshop, Premier etc), My assets library to load from (Unreal engine, Daz Studio, Blender, Photoshop etc), that sort of stuff. And to my understanding both NAS and Exos are slower than Barracuda Pro and I don't recall correctly there is something to do with read errors as well where it they only try once and the move on while barracuda tries again and again until goes through if it can.
I was initially look for 18Tb hdd.

USAFRet

Titan
Steam library games Backup, Old Games' Setups/Installs, Application Setups, Videos, Projects (Music, Photoshop, Premier etc), My assets library to load from (Unreal engine, Daz Studio, Blender, Photoshop etc), that sort of stuff. And to my understanding both NAS and Exos are slower than Barracuda Pro and I don't recall correctly there is something to do with read errors as well where it they only try once and the move on while barracuda tries again and again until goes through if it can.
I was initially look for 18Tb hdd.
An Ironwolf or EXOS would work for those uses.
I have some of both.

And I'd expect a NAS or enterprise drive to be MORE stable with your data.

And of course, backups are your friend.

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
An Ironwolf or EXOS would work for those uses.
I have some of both.

And I'd expect a NAS or enterprise drive to be MORE stable with your data.

And of course, backups are your friend.
Right, so Ironwolf pro is better than ironwolf right? and it will be good too as well, I am getting a very good deal on ironwolf pro 18Tb HDD.

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Those are NAS drives, supposedly you would have a RAID1/10/5/6. So I'm not sure why you would have to worry about some hypothetical read error, RAID is there to handle that. And if you're not running a RAID, then you're probably looking at the wrong drive.

Also, I take it that although you are storing your project files on the HDD (RAID), you do have an SSD for storing files you are actually working on at the moment. So then the HDD is for overflow/archive. In that case the speed of the HDD is not critical, any drive would do as long as you have a backup.

USAFRet

Titan
Those are NAS drives, supposedly you would have a RAID1/10/5/6. So I'm not sure why you would have to worry about some hypothetical read error, RAID is there to handle that. And if you're not running a RAID, then you're probably looking at the wrong drive.

Also, I take it that although you are storing your project files on the HDD (RAID), you do have an SSD for storing files you are actually working on at the moment. So then the HDD is for overflow/archive. In that case the speed of the HDD is not critical, any drive would do as long as you have a backup.
NAS does not automatically equate to RAID.
Mine doesn't.

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015

I need the drive to store that data i don't need in my SSDs and put it back from the storage drive when i need it or load it from the storage drive which doesn't need the speed of the SSD, that is the whole point for me of getting an 18tb hdd. You are telling me I need to get another one (if i go for NAS drive) to make a backup of my backup that as well. Its more like waist of money to get 2 drives to store my data. I am using barracuda drives for more than 7 years now and haven't lost any data from them. I can only afford one drive, a one that has less and less chances of loosing my data just as my barracuda drives does. So RAID is not possible for me.

USAFRet

Titan
I need to the drive to store that data i don't need in my SSDs, that is the whole point for me to getting a 18tb hdd. You are telling me I need to get another to make a backup of that as well. Its more like waist of money to get 2 drives to store my data. I am using barracuda drives for 6 years and haven't lost any data from them. I can only afford drive, a one that has less and less chances of loosing my data just as my barracuda drives does. So RAID is not possible for me.
Any of those drives you listed will work for this.

For backups?
The concept is 3-2-1.

3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least one offsite or otherwise inaccessible.

If you just offload the single copy from the SSD to the 18TB HDD....that is only one copy. And subject to going away at any time.

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Any of those drives you listed will work for this.

For backups?
The concept is 3-2-1.

3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least one offsite or otherwise inaccessible.

If you just offload the single copy from the SSD to the 18TB HDD....that is only one copy. And subject to going away at any time.
yeah I get that, but I only do that with the data (work related) I don't wanna loose at any cost which is already on my external HDDs, for example my Music projects/3d project/photoshop projects files or my games' Mods stuff which is not that huge to begin with. And i am not getting the drive to make a backup, i am getting it so i can make a room in my other drives aka my SSDs and my main HDDs. I'll be mainly putting my ripped TV Shows/4k Movies (around 10+Tbs) and old ripped Game Setups/Steam Backups which I don't access that much, may be 3-4 times a year which I can get again from the internet.
The reason i was looking for barracuda drive because even my first drive which i bought it 2008 is working perfectly fine even to this day, which I can't seem to find more than 8Tb (both Non and Pro variants). Or I can get to 8Tbs of Barracuda drives and put one in the system (only room for one now) and get a 3.0 dock for the other one.

Last edited: