Question Seagate BarraCuda HDD high pitched clicking noise

Jimbo832

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Hi all,

New Seagate Barracuda 2tb bought only a few weeks ago is making some interesting noises. The drive is not the OS drive and currently has nothing stored on it.

This is a link to an audio hosting site so you can all listen: https://instaud.io/3iav

You should be able to hear the noise at 2 seconds, 5 seconds, and 9 seconds in the audio clip. You may need to turn audio up also.

Seatools has been used and a SMART test and a long "fix all" test and did not show any issues.

I know hard drives are supposed to make noises but this seemed out of the ordinary and is a very consistent sound. Let me know if you have any ideas for a fix, or if it just needs a replacement

Thanks

Last edited:

jimmysmitty

Champion
There is a lot of ambient noise that makes it hard to hear. The problem with HDDs is that tests typically will not show a mechanical failure is coming as it testes the reading of the blocks and cache.

I would be cautious and backup data ASAP and plan to replace the drive. I have had Seagates and while its hard to hear with the ambient noise none have ever sounded like that.

marko55

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Back up your data and RMA it with the seller if you're still within the return period. Otherwise RMA it through Seagate's website. Seagate RMAs are pretty straight forward. You're just gonna eat a little shipping cost.