Question Seagate BarraCuda Pro ST4000DM006 4TB clicking sounds

Apr 11, 2019
I bought two of these from Amazon for a new build. One of them makes a clicking sound every second or so when it's writing. It doesn't do this when reading. It doesn't sound like the "death click" I've had happen with other drives which occurred periodically even when idle. Performance has been great and I've had no other issues with the drive which I've been using for several weeks now.

Doing a web search, there appears to be two types of odd clicking noises emitted from these drives. One is the death click. The other sounds similar to what I've been hearing except that it doesn't mention that it's occurring only when writhing. One poster on an Amazon thread said that they had contacted Seagate and Seagate said it was normal.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these clicking sounds? If this drive is going bad, I'd prefer to replace it sooner than later.

I've had many different drives make many different noises.....so I generally only start getting concerned if it's making a new noise.....or if it's obviously not sounding right.

It' sounds like that drive has been making that noise from the get go. If so.....I'd just keep an eye on it.

Reactions: jm2761
Apr 11, 2019
Check out this link and see if the noise you hear on your drive is one of these. You may also download SeaTools as well and test the drive and see what the results are. If need be you may contact support here as well.

Thanks for the info. I ran the SMART check and short drive test and they both passed. The SMART attribute values are nearly the same as my other my other identical drive that I installed at the same time. I did check the disk drive noise page and mine isn't making any of those noises. I'll wait and see if I start seeing any errors.