Question Seagate Barracuda ST3500630NS 7200RPM 500GB failure, no powerup, not detected in BIOS

Commander Arc

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I own a ST3500630NS Seagate Barracuda 500GB hard drive that suddenly failed. It has absolutely no power, does not show up in bios and I have tried multiple different cables, interfaces and power supplies.

It is my understanding that because there is absolutely no power-on and no detection by the motherboard the PCB is probably the culprate.

I have managed to locate a donor harddrive to get a PCB from, the only difference is the firmware version. (original = 3.AEG, donor firmware = 3.BJH)

When I decide to replace the PCB, will this slight deviance in firmware version matter as long as the board is identical? Or will I have to transplant the 8-legged bios chip from the original dead PCB?

If I failed to include any information that might lead to a solution please let me know.

This Seagate model does not have "adaptive" data on the PCB, so all you need to do is to match the firmware version. Otherwise, some PCB suppliers (eg hdd-parts.com) include a ROM transfer service.

However, I would first determine why the PCB failed, otherwise your replacement may fail, too.

Start by examining the TVS (overvoltage protection) diodes.

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86