[SOLVED] Seagate Barracuda vs Toshiba hdd

Nov 6, 2018
Good day, I would like to ask your opinion on which is better, I have been looking for a used high capacity hdd and the seller in my place got two 3 tb hdd.

FS : 3TB Harddrive 7200RPM
3TB Seagate Barracuda(214Days Power on time)
Price : $ 66.85
3TB Toshiba(8Days Power on time)
Price : $76.40

Which should I get? I already have an nvme as my main drive. I am confused with the power on time, is it lower is better? Or go with the cheaper one? Thanks for any input.

Solution
I personally wouldn't buy used HDDs.

Yes lower is better. lower power on time means it's has been ON and worked shorter period of time.

If you insist on buying a used one I'd get the one that might be still under warranty or the one that has worked less hours.

Can you ask the seller to provide you with the SMART report of the drive? That would show if it has already had any problems or not like bad sectors or spin retries or if G-sensor shows any mumbers other than 0 which would mean a shock (drive was hit or fell) when working.

Anyway if you buy one and store data on it make sure you have proper backup of the personal files (irreplacable data) you store on it. Mind you this -having backups - is best practice when you're dealing...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I personally wouldn't buy used HDDs.

Yes lower is better. lower power on time means it's has been ON and worked shorter period of time.

If you insist on buying a used one I'd get the one that might be still under warranty or the one that has worked less hours.

Can you ask the seller to provide you with the SMART report of the drive? That would show if it has already had any problems or not like bad sectors or spin retries or if G-sensor shows any mumbers other than 0 which would mean a shock (drive was hit or fell) when working.

Anyway if you buy one and store data on it make sure you have proper backup of the personal files (irreplacable data) you store on it. Mind you this -having backups - is best practice when you're dealing with any storage drive, HDD or SSD. Because, sooner or later, all drives fail and it's better to be prepared than sorry.

Solution
Nov 6, 2018
I already have a 4tb wd purple as my main storage drive, i got it as used 4 years ago and still 100% health based on hdd sentinel app. Thiis 3tb would be my back up storage. I havent tried toshiba but our market here is flooded with them 3.5 and 2.5. With seagate I had one still works but 9% slowly degrading. Havent tried the barracuda version. I am leaning with toshiba, is it good?

JaredDM

Honorable
I wouldn't buy a 3Tb Seagate unless I was using it for parts to recover another failed 3Tb Seagate. Their most popular 3Tb model, the ST3000DM001 failed so epically they were class action sued.

Toshiba drives are quite good. Go with that between the two. But, generally speaking, I wouldn't buy used drives unless they are enterprise-grade SAS drives. There's too many people out there using a simple TTL adapter to reset S.M.A.R.T. logs and make the drives appear "new" or "newish" and pass off busted crap on eBay.

It's much harder to do this with a Toshiba than a Seagate, but still possible.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Again, I wouldn't buy used HDD. I'd buy smaller or slower but brand new with warranty.

Baraccuda 3TB is SMR I think. Only good for archiving not write-intensive use like a to host/run and OS on daily basis or for loading games from (better for write once, read later a few times).

If the Toshiba has really worked for 8 days only is 'sounds' like the better option.