Seagate Barracuda won't initialize

yungpolo

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Hi,

I have recently completed my first build. Everything seems to be working well except for my 3TB Seagate Barracuda. It does not show up in BIOS, but it shows up under Device Manager & Disk Management.

I have tried initializing it under Disk Management, but I am receiving the error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

When I tried running SeaTools, it never makes it past scanning for drives until I get the blue screen error "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"

Device Manager says my driver is up to date, and Seagate DiscWizard cannot find the drive. I am running out of ideas to try. I am beginning to think that I might just need to get a new one, but I hope somebody here has some advice.

Here are my pertinent specs:
Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 Running BIOS F2
AMD FX-8350
Crucial 512GB SSD (Boot Drive)
Seagate STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Edit: I don't think it affects potential solutions, but I'd like to note that with the drive plugged in, my boot time is about 5 minutes where it is >30 second if I pull it out.

Solution
Hi there yungpolo,

I would advise you to start with just swapping both cables(SATA and power). You can attach the drive to another SATA port as well. I/O(Input/Output) error sometimes may indicate some connection issues.
If the issue persists, then there is most probably something wrong with the drive. In this case, it may be a good idea to contact the manufacturer and eventually RMA the drive.
You can try testing the drive with the DOS version of the tool you have already used.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD
Hi there yungpolo,

I would advise you to start with just swapping both cables(SATA and power). You can attach the drive to another SATA port as well. I/O(Input/Output) error sometimes may indicate some connection issues.
If the issue persists, then there is most probably something wrong with the drive. In this case, it may be a good idea to contact the manufacturer and eventually RMA the drive.
You can try testing the drive with the DOS version of the tool you have already used.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Solution

yungpolo

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015

Thanks for the advice.

I have already tried different sata cables and ports and a different power cable with no luck. I will try DOS seatools after work tonight.

As for the RMA route, I seem to have thrown out the original packaging :/. I have the packaging for every other component in my computer except that drive. Hopefully they aren't too strict about that.