Seagate Beep sound

tim.finley24

Prominent
Mar 7, 2018
I have a laptop that, I originally thought, was making a motherboard beep code. The HDD wasn't being detected and the OS wasn't loading. I pulled the HDD to discover that it was the HDD making the beep code type sound. My other PC was also not detecting the HDD.

I know that HDDs don't have beep codes because they don't have speakers. I also know that the HDD is dead and will need to be replaced. My question is, what might make this kind of noise? It's not the grinding or clicking sound of a failed head. This is a sound that I have never personally encountered.

If it were a motherboard beep code, it would best be described as a short single beep repeating until the device is powered off. It is also much quieter that a typical mobo beep code.

Solution
Usually shaking can help, but that needs complete dissasembly of HDD to remove head if its stuck or to place it in stock position, i would replace HDD.

The head is soldered/stuck to the plate, usually resoults with bad sectors, ive done it couple days ago and it had bad sectors of it.
Replace it.

tim.finley24

Prominent
Mar 7, 2018

That didn't work. It did "beep" slightly differently the first time I powered it on. So I take it it's the motor that has failed?

Usually shaking can help, but that needs complete dissasembly of HDD to remove head if its stuck or to place it in stock position, i would replace HDD.

The head is soldered/stuck to the plate, usually resoults with bad sectors, ive done it couple days ago and it had bad sectors of it.
Replace it.

Solution