Seagate Delivers A 2 TB HDD In 7mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
So,.. 2 platters at 1000GB/platter? That's quite a jump from the 667GB/platter Samsung M9T 2TB or 750GB/platter Toshiba MQ03ABB300. Make a 3TB 3 platter 9.5mm and a 4TB 12.5mm drive please! and 64GB NAND hybrid models of each! Does this use HaMR or SMR or just traditional PMR?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
HDDs do not belong in products with a 7 mm SATA bay. Stop being disgusting, vendors. Even a cheap convertible or ultrabook must come with a 120 GB SSD, not a hard drive. Space is not an issue, some will use the cloud and some will get an external HDD if there is really a lot of data to store. But enough of this. The first thing people do nowadays is throw the HDD out...

@Non-Euclidian: what even? Just take a ruler and measure 7 mm. That's the point of providing dimensions, so that no one needs approximations and comparisons.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
HDDs do not belong in products with a 7 mm SATA bay. Stop being disgusting, vendors. Even a cheap convertible or ultrabook must come with a 120 GB SSD, not a hard drive. Space is not an issue, some will use the cloud and some will get an external HDD if there is really a lot of data to store. But enough of this. The first thing people do nowadays is throw the HDD out...

@Non-Euclidian: what even? Just take a ruler and measure 7 mm. That's the point of providing dimensions, so that no one needs approximations and comparisons.
Pretty sure they do not mind the size or space or speed.. Most laptop manufacturers worry about keeping costs low to sell to people.
Anyway, as others said, Id be worried about the reliability.
Seagate has been beyond poor in that aspect.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Wow, Tomshardware really need to fix their site.. so buggy!
You comment, they throw you to another article that has nothing to do with the comment you're replying to (it sends me to the frontier developments one).
Plus the quote button can quote up to 4 times per click.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
New notebooks only come with a 7mm HD slot? That's a bit short sighted.

Not really, as this probably means that they will also have drives with 3-4 platters at 9mm making it a 3-4TB drive. Although i would not feel comfortable holding that much data in a portable and mechanical form factor.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Wow, Tomshardware really need to fix their site.. so buggy!

Remember you can go to the .co.uk site and edit your post to remove the surplus quote chunks.

Even a cheap convertible or ultrabook must come with a 120 GB SSD, not a hard drive.

Given the tiny price differential, and where capacities are heading atm, I would much rather the minimum be 240GB to 256GB, and let the 120GB models just die off (they should have been ditched over a year ago IMO).

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I'm still working with Seagate on the tech but I do know this is not HaMR.
Yeah I don't think any drives have. So it might be SMR, but then it'd be an 'archive' drive to denote the slower write speeds. Maybe it is just PMR. It's not helium because they don't need it to squeeze 2 platters into 7mm, 3 at 9.5mm, that's the new normal. Thanks

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Given the tiny price differential, and where capacities are heading atm, I would much rather the minimum be 240GB to 256GB, and let the 120GB models just die off (they should have been ditched over a year ago IMO).

Fine with me, make it 240-256 GB, even better. (Where I live, a good 120 GB is priced close to what you pay for an entry-tier 256 GB in the US, thus the initial bias) Just not a HARD DRIVE! A mechanical drive does NOT belong in a device that's likely to be handled like a tablet due to its compact dimensions and low weight!

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

A hard drive should be an option if the user wants a lot of internal storage. Mobile hard drives have quite a bit of shock tolerance these days, 400g or so and is designed to handle angle changes within reason. I agree an SSD should be the primary drive but this Seagate, or the Samsung M9T 2TB drive would be a great fit in expanding the internal storage. ~$90 for an M9T, great value, very good reviews. Who knows how reliable the Seagate will be though.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Storagereview.com on the discussion link, says that it is an SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drive, so writes will be slower, if Brian is correct, which is very likely given the platter density and HaMR is not ready.

You mean you want a vendor with a higher fail rate ?

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/934-6/disques-durs.html

- Seagate 0,68% (contre 0,69%)
- Western 1,09% (contre 0,93%)
- HGST 1,16% (contre 1,01%)
- Toshiba 1,34% (contre 1,29%)

If you are going to bring up the faulty backblaze study yet again, read this 1st

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-hdd-failure-lawsuit-3tb,31118.html

We have done side by side testing in our office with laptops used by field engineers for preparation of As-Built Drawings with AutoCAD and, of course, a bit of gaming "off hours". Two laptops were used:

Clevo high end lappie w/ 128 GB SSD + 2 TB 7200 rpm HD
Clevo high end lappie w/ 2 TB 7200 rpm SSHD

Both units were identical except as above noted and were randomly used by office staff as described and personal usage. No one could tell which unit they were using. The only way one could tell which is which would be to look at the drive mapping or run storage benchmarks.... except for one thing. Due to the limited 128 GB, had to keep an eye on free space and clean kit out a bit every once and a while. Had planned on never ill never using a dual drive system again on a laptop except for the fact that 7200 rpm SSHDs are no longer an option from most Clevo distributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.