Seagate Drives Why are they so highly rated now?

greatfranks

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Ok,

I haven't bought hard drives in quite some time with all the prices as high as they are. I understood then that the Samsung Spinpoint f3 and f4 drives and western digital black and green drives were the drive of choice for 90% of reviewers on websites like amazon and newegg.

Seagate had such a bad reputation for their drives going bad...I in fact am having one repaired today. It was one of the 2tb 7200.11 drives. I then started hearing really good things about Hitachi drives, and of course all the deathstar jokes that came with them. The hard drive industry is vastly different then 2 years ago, with mergers and what not.

I bought a 2 tb hard drive from amazon recently a 4tb hitachi from microcenter last week, and a 2tb external seagate drive today from target on clearance.

Checking reviews on amazon (and best seller lists) and on newegg, the seagate drives seem to be very popular and well rated.

I don't object to buying Western Digital, I have a couple.. I'm just confused as to where the sudden popularity in seagate drives has come from. Any insight would be apreciated.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
It's possible the drives have gotten more reliable. I had a few that failed on me but i think the PS3's have them and that's worked fine. I have had a couple of Western Digital's fail on me before. I only really buy Western Digital because they are reliable hard drives.