[SOLVED] Seagate Exos Vs Barracuda

Azndude263

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
I've been using 2x 8tb WD Elements external hard drives to store my personal files and they are getting full. I could buy 2x bigger capacity of the same hard drive to replace or just buy another external hard drive to keep the process going but I figured that would add more cables and plugs so I decided to get a DAS and am not sure if that's smart or not. I recently bought a Qnap TR-004 4 Bay DAS for $230 and am planning to buy 2-3x Seagate EXOS 14TB to put them in there. I read that these EXOS drives are server rated which means they are much more durable than the Barracuda drives right?

I am also looking into ways to backup my 16tb worth of data online for a decent price (incase my hard drives die on me). I saw Backblaze offer a very cheap and reliable way for my backup ($70 a year). The problem is the fastest upload connection in my area is only about 20-30 mbps thus it would literally take over 2000 hours of continuous upload (over 3 months) to completely backup my data. Will doing this kill my hard drives even if I go with the EXOS drives over Barracuda? It would be terrific if I could mail Backblaze my hard drives for them to upload then they can just send them back to me afterward but unfortunately they don't do that :/

Also, do you guys happen to know if the Qnap DAS support drives bigger than 14tb?

Last edited:
Solution
I didn't exactly get a NAS because I know I don't really need to access the files online or through a network that's why I got myself a DAS. A DAS is about half the price of a NAS and it acts basically exactly like an enclosure (much like an external hard drive) for multiple drives at the same time.

The reason why I want an online backup (cloud storage on Backblaze for $70 a year) is because I am afraid the drives would fail 1 day and then all my data would be gone T_T. The problem is backing up to Backblaze with my slow upload connection would take literally over 3 months of continuous 24/7 uploading. I too worry that I might need hard drives that are designed to operate 24/7 thus am thinking if I should go for the EXOS instead...

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I think you got this mixed up...

NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. Its main purpose is to provide shared storage across the home network and to store files on a server. If that is something you are interested in doing, then you got your money's worth. The EXOS drives are mainly for enterprises. You should go for Iron Wolf if your main incentive is to use it as NAS.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/buying-guide/seagate-which-drive-is-right-for-you

Otherwise, you are wasting money buying a drive that is not designed for personal use. Use this site to determine the total capacity of your Bay to know if it supports beyond 14TB or not

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/...the-maximum-hdd-size-supported-in-my-qnap-nas

As for your 16TB Backup, I suggest using Raid for that and get 4 5TB hard drives that are Iron Wolf ones.

Last edited:

Azndude263

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
I think you got this mixed up...

NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. Its main purpose is to provide shared storage across the home network and to store files on a server. If that is something you are interested in doing, then you got your money's worth. The EXOS drives are mainly for enterprises. You should go for Iron Wolf if your main incentive is to use it as NAS.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/buying-guide/seagate-which-drive-is-right-for-you

Otherwise, you are wasting money buying a drive that is not designed for personal use. Use this site to determine the total capacity of your Bay to know if it supports beyond 14TB or not

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/...the-maximum-hdd-size-supported-in-my-qnap-nas

As for your 16TB Backup, I suggest using Raid for that and get 4 5TB hard drives that are Iron Wolf ones.

Oh no, I think I typed it out wrong. I don't need a NAS because I only need a DAS

Azndude263

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Ok so..there you go I guess. I again still feel that for your purpose, EXOS is overkill...but whatever suits you I suppose.

If I were to upload to Backblaze for 3 months straight, would the regular Barracuda be able to withstand that kind of abuse?

I need to upload 15TB worth of data to Backblaze on my slow upload connection so it would literally take over 3 months of continuous 24/7 uploading. Which means the hard drives will be working 24/7 for over 3 months straight?

Last edited:

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
If I were to upload to Backblaze for 3 months straight, would the regular Barracuda be able to withstand that kind of abuse?

I need to upload 15TB worth of data to Backblaze on my slow upload connection so it would literally take over 3 months of continuous 24/7 uploading. Which means the hard drives will be working 24/7 for over 3 months straight?

I don't know anything about BackBlaze so I can't help you there but if you're going to use the Barracuda to that bay you bought, I seriously doubt that it will do fine.

Like I said earlier, NAS is better designed for Hard Drives to operate at 24/7. Any other drive lower than Iron Wolf is not going to last long.

You don't necessarily need internet to store your files in NAS as you only need it when you want to access the data outside of your local network so its an ideal choice for a solution like this.

I really think that you should just get a larger capacity drive, store your files there and call it off. I don't know much on cloud but its not always reliable atleast from what I've researched.

Azndude263

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
I don't know anything about BackBlaze so I can't help you there but if you're going to use the Barracuda to that bay you bought, I seriously doubt that it will do fine.

Like I said earlier, NAS is better designed for Hard Drives to operate at 24/7. Any other drive lower than Iron Wolf is not going to last long.

You don't necessarily need internet to store your files in NAS as you only need it when you want to access the data outside of your local network so its an ideal choice for a solution like this.

I really think that you should just get a larger capacity drive, store your files there and call it off. I don't know much on cloud but its not always reliable atleast from what I've researched.

I didn't exactly get a NAS because I know I don't really need to access the files online or through a network that's why I got myself a DAS. A DAS is about half the price of a NAS and it acts basically exactly like an enclosure (much like an external hard drive) for multiple drives at the same time.

The reason why I want an online backup (cloud storage on Backblaze for $70 a year) is because I am afraid the drives would fail 1 day and then all my data would be gone T_T. The problem is backing up to Backblaze with my slow upload connection would take literally over 3 months of continuous 24/7 uploading. I too worry that I might need hard drives that are designed to operate 24/7 thus am thinking if I should go for the EXOS instead of Barracuda as they are designed for enterprise level so should be more resilient?

USAFRet

Titan

The reason why I want an online backup (cloud storage on Backblaze for $70 a year) is because I am afraid the drives would fail 1 day and then all my data would be gone T_T. The problem is backing up to Backblaze with my slow upload connection would take literally over 3 months of continuous 24/7 uploading. I too worry that I might need hard drives that are designed to operate 24/7 thus am thinking if I should go for the EXOS instead of Barracuda as they are designed for enterprise level so should be more resilient?
Either of those drives will be fine for that use.

I have an 8TB Seagate BarraCuda in my QNAP NAS, as the repository for my house security cameras.
Writing 24/7, for about 18 months so far. Overall use in the NAS, 2.5 years.

It will be fine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS