[SOLVED] Seagate Expansion 8TB sleeps randomly ?

wasaw

Reputable
Apr 12, 2019
Hi. I recently purchased an external hard drive. The model is a Seagate Expansion 8TB (ST8000DM004-2CX188 8001.5 GB). I downloaded SeaTools for Windows to test the external hard drive. In the SeaTools program, I select my external hard drive and choose the long generic test. However, after less than 30 minutes the external hard drive "sleeps" and I have to wake up my computer in order to "reactivate" the external hard drive.

How can I make sure my external hard drive completes the test without "sleeping"?

Solution
You can try either setting windows power mode to high performance, go to settings, system, power and sleep, to the right of page -additional power settings, choose ultimate or high performance, or click on change plan settings, change advanced settings, under hard drive set the minutes to zero. See if this helps.
You can try either setting windows power mode to high performance, go to settings, system, power and sleep, to the right of page -additional power settings, choose ultimate or high performance, or click on change plan settings, change advanced settings, under hard drive set the minutes to zero. See if this helps.

Solution
Hi. I recently purchased an external hard drive. The model is a Seagate Expansion 8TB (ST8000DM004-2CX188 8001.5 GB). I downloaded SeaTools for Windows to test the external hard drive. In the SeaTools program, I select my external hard drive and choose the long generic test. However, after less than 30 minutes the external hard drive "sleeps" and I have to wake up my computer in order to "reactivate" the external hard drive.

How can I make sure my external hard drive completes the test without "sleeping"?
Something to check.
Open device manager/usb.
Expand each section and open the power management.
Untick the allow to turn of this device.