[SOLVED] Seagate Expansion Desktop 4Tb tech specs, drive type?

im_stumped

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
I can't seem to find this info on the Seagate website.

Looking at Seagate Expansion Desktop 4Tb, model STEB4000100.

• it's a 3.5" drive, yes?
  • which model drive is inside?
  • does it use any kind of hardware encryption that can't be turned off? As in, if I later want to remove the drive I can put it in a PC and have it work with the data accessible.
  • can it be shucked?
  • what's the difference with what appear to be identical units with different model #'s, like STEB4000200?

If anyone knows where to find this info, that'd be great. Thanks.

Solution
https://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/expansion-desk-8tbDS1843-8-1810GB-en_AU.pdf

The product comes with a power supply, so this would imply a 3.5" drive.

The STEB4000100, STEB4000200 and STEB4000300 models appear to differ only in the warranty (1, 2 and 3 years, respectively). Buyers in the AMER (Americas) region get a 1 year warranty, EMEA (Europe/Middle East/Africa) get 2 years, and APAC (Asia/Pacific) get 3 years.

I'm not aware of any hardware encryption on Seagate's USB-SATA PCBs, but you would need to check this for yourself.

Generally speaking, Seagate is at liberty to use any 4TB model which satisfies the specs. Since the only spec in the datasheet relates to capacity, this would imply that the drive...
https://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/expansion-desk-8tbDS1843-8-1810GB-en_AU.pdf

The product comes with a power supply, so this would imply a 3.5" drive.

The STEB4000100, STEB4000200 and STEB4000300 models appear to differ only in the warranty (1, 2 and 3 years, respectively). Buyers in the AMER (Americas) region get a 1 year warranty, EMEA (Europe/Middle East/Africa) get 2 years, and APAC (Asia/Pacific) get 3 years.

I'm not aware of any hardware encryption on Seagate's USB-SATA PCBs, but you would need to check this for yourself.

Generally speaking, Seagate is at liberty to use any 4TB model which satisfies the specs. Since the only spec in the datasheet relates to capacity, this would imply that the drive could be a 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM model. This means that if you find a review where the drive has been shucked, it could very well be that your enclosure will have a different drive.

Last edited:
Solution