[SOLVED] Seagate Expansion Hard Drive

Aug 14, 2019
I was planning to use it as an external so I can store data I don't want to be lost and tuck it away since my 4tb external hard drive felt slow and might break down. Can I use it as an external hard drive or do I have to have it plugged in all the time? Thanks

Solution
First off, when you need to migrate any data onto the external drive, you're going to need to have the drive connected to the system. Secondly, if the drive is not in use all the time, there's no need to have it connected all the time.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, when you need to migrate any data onto the external drive, you're going to need to have the drive connected to the system. Secondly, if the drive is not in use all the time, there's no need to have it connected all the time.

Solution
Aug 14, 2019
Will not having the hard drive plugged in compromise the longevity of the hard drive? Like i'm fine with plugging it in tranferring data and unplugging it

Will not having the hard drive plugged in compromise the longevity of the hard drive? Like i'm fine with plugging it in tranferring data and unplugging it

Leaving it unplugged would actually increase lifespan as the disk inside will not be spinning as frequently as when its plugged in.

HDDs have moving parts which makes them go bad, so if parts are not moving, they cant just go bad.

But they are more fragile than a HDD thats built to be external so I wouldnt go dropping it or lugging it around to a bunch of places and risk dropping it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTenshi