Seagate Expansion USB 3 drive write speed zig zag and slow

sytom

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
http://imgur.com/Vf2sEtc

This is graph when I copy large file from my PC to connected USB 3 hard drive. Avg speed is only about 50M BPS. It is fine when copy from USB drive to my PC internal drive. It is 110M BPS and almost level graph. Any idea?

Solution
Hey sytom. For some reason I can't see the uploaded image. Does this happen with all external HDDs or just this one? I'd suggest that you try the drive with another USB cable (not longer than 12"), because yours might have become faulty. Also I'd suggest that you test the external drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and backup any important data you might have on it, just in case. You could try the drive with another computer to see if the same issue occurs.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey sytom. For some reason I can't see the uploaded image. Does this happen with all external HDDs or just this one? I'd suggest that you try the drive with another USB cable (not longer than 12"), because yours might have become faulty. Also I'd suggest that you test the external drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and backup any important data you might have on it, just in case. You could try the drive with another computer to see if the same issue occurs.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

sytom

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

I have updated with new URL.

Thank you, it is visible now. It's a bit unusual for this to happen with one large file. It's not like you are copying/moving hundreds of pictures or other large number small files. Go ahead and try the things I've mentioned in my previous post to see if anything helps. After you test the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tool, please give feedback on the result so that we can see what's the situation with the HDD.