Seagate external Backup plus 2tb - Event id 154 - windows 10

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Hello,

I have a Seagate Backup plus 2tb external HDD, and lately i noticed an error
in the windows "Event viewer".
"The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000008d) failed due to a hardware error."

This error appears a lot in the log, almost every minute.
The Hdd is working ok. read/write no problem.
I tested it with the Seagate Seatools, and SMART test PASS,
and also Short Drive Self Test is PASS.

I tried connecting the USB cable to another usb port, but same error appears.
I now trying to do the Long test, which check every sector.

If it will pass the long test, what else can i check? Bad cable?
Aagin, i'm not hearing strange noises from the HDD, and it read/write ok.
Why the error in the event viewer?

My Desktop is Dell vostro 3668, with Windows 10.

Thank you.

Solution
Hi Ere_19, suggestion would be to re set the BIOS and if still you get the same problem, remove the CMOS battery, leave it out for a minuet and power on the computer which will drain the remaining energy on the motherboard. Once you remove the CMOS battery and put it back, make sure to reset the BIOS. See how that goes.

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for the response.
I'm getting some confusing results.
I ran the Long test with the Dell desktop (windows 10), and after an hour or so, it gave me a FAIL.
So i connected the HDD to a different computer (windows 7), and ran the Seatools Long test.
It took around 21.5 hours (connected with USB 2.0) to finish the test, but it PASSED
Is it normal to take so long with a 2TB Hard drive ?
I also don't get any Event id 154 with the other computer.

I managed to read the S.M.A.R.T attributes using HDDscan software, and it seems ok.
Reallocated sector count is ok (worst is still at 100, and raw is 0).
Current pending errors count is same.
What do you think, is the drive OK?
Here is a screenshot:

seagate_backup_plus_smart_report.jpg

The backup plus that i have is the old model (purchased december 2013).
Are there any known problems with it working under Windows 10? (is there a driver/software update?)

Thank you.

Hello Ere_19. If you ran Seatools and it did not find any errors, then the drive is OK. Yes, the test can take a long time and it also depends on the size of the drive. As for the screenshot, we really cant comment as third party testing software do not have Seagates testing parameters and the results may vary. As for not working in Win 10, there should be no problems. You may uninstall the driver and re boot the computer so it installs the latest one.

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
The HDD was connected to the other Computer (windows 7) for a day.
No errors in event viewer.

I connected the HDD back to the Dell desktop (windows 10), and there were no errors
in event viewer for almost a day, but then suddenly i get again the Event Id 154 error:
"The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000044) failed due to a hardware error."

Again, no problem to read/write from HDD.
No strange noises from the HDD.
This time the HDD was connected to a different USB port.

I'll try to switch cables, but i don't think this cause it, as i get no errors when i connected the HDD to
a different computer.
Is it possible to connect a Micro-USB B 2.0 cable to the Micro-USB B 3.0 socket that the
Seagate Backup plus has in the back?

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

I connected a USB 2.0 Micro b cable, and the hard drive is working,
but unfortunately i still have the Event id 154 error.
Still, the HDD is working OK.

So what next?
Is it a Windows 10 problem? Driver problem?

Thank you.

Hi Ere_19, suggestion would be to re set the BIOS and if still you get the same problem, remove the CMOS battery, leave it out for a minuet and power on the computer which will drain the remaining energy on the motherboard. Once you remove the CMOS battery and put it back, make sure to reset the BIOS. See how that goes.

Solution