SeaGate External Disk Drive Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2019
So I'm not really a hardware expert by any means, but I know more than the average consumer about this stuff. I'll explain my issue in as much detail as I can, and since I've tried troubleshooting with about 10 different methods, this may be a longwinded post, so sorry about that.
Basically, I bought a brand new SeaGate Portable Expansion disk drive with 4 TB for my laptop. As soon as I plugged it in it made the typical ding sound as when I plug any USB in. Immediately thereafter it made the un-ding sound as if I had just unplugged it, and gave me a notification saying USB device not recognized and it had malfunctioned. There's no direct troubleshooter I can click on, so I checked in This PC and there's nothing listed for it. I then checked Device Manager and found it as an errored USB device. The error code it gives me is Code 43: Device was stopped because it has errored. Device failed to migrate due to partial or ambiguous match. I know that's a fairly generic error, but I think the problem is in the power source. The light on the disk drive does not turn on at all, unless I plug it directly into the wall (I know you shouldn't do this, but I did briefly for science), in which case it did turn blue and flash.

I know my USB ports all work, and I use them regularly with speakers, mice and to charge my cell phone and headphones.

In terms of troubleshooting, I tried updating my USB drivers, all of which were up to latest specs. I tried running the troubleshooter that pulled up under Printers and Devices (where it still recognized it as an errored USB device). This found nothing. I unchecked the box for power saving in my USB Root Hub. I have gone through the entire guided troubleshooter on Seagate's website. And I can't try another cord because I don't have any others (it's a weird plug shape I haven't seen before), but it's brand new. Thankfully I do have a year warranty, so if it's bad, time isn't really an issue.

Specs: Laptop: Acer Aspire E15

External Drive: Seagate Portable Expansion 4TB HDD

USB Ports: 3.0

Plenty of Ram, and Processing GHz.
Please help if you can. I only come to forums if I'm desperate, but you can see I've tried all my other options :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts