Question Seagate external drive not receiving power

dexdice01

Prominent
Nov 25, 2020
Advice appreciated. I noticed recently that my Seagate external drive (powered kind, quite old now, purchased around 2013) was sometimes not powering up. With a bit of plug reinsertion it started working again but I noted the problem and quickly ordered a new external to back up everything in case it died. Then as I unplugged the device the power supply cable physically snapped off at the plug, so I chalked the issues down to a frayed wire.

However today upon receiving a replacement power cable I am having the same issue as before, except the drive will not power up at all. I really can't afford the data recovery prices listed so I'm trying to see if there's anything I can do at home first to get this working. Any tips? Could a bad power cable have shorted something inside it? Seems a bit of a coincidence.

dexdice01

Prominent
Nov 25, 2020
Have attached the drive directly to my pc via SATA. My PC makes the standard noise when you plug in something via USB but it's not recognised at all under My PC. What to do next?

Edit: under disk management it appears as G: no media. The drive makes no sound at all while connected

Last edited:

dexdice01

Prominent
Nov 25, 2020
The issue I think is still basically the same one I had before removing the drive from its enclosure in that its not getting power and therefore not even communicating with the USB to SATA hub.

My complete layman's assessment is that the PCB board is dead/fried.

Last edited:

dexdice01

Prominent
Nov 25, 2020
Point of curiosity tho: if I plug in the USB end of the hub first it lights up and my PC makes a connective Windows sound. I get the same sound if I then connect the drive to the hub at the SATA end of the lead. Would this happen if the drive was not receiving power? In terms of disk management properties and whatnot, there's no functional difference though between the drive being plugged in or not.

Is the best case scenario now that just the 12V diode is short?

Last edited: