Question Seagate External Hard Disk not Blinking, not showing up on Disk Management or Explorer or DiskPart

Apr 28, 2021
So, recently I lent my External HDD of 4 TB to my brother for copying some files. After I got it back, it showed up as Local Disk E: on Explorer rather than as Seagate Expansion Drive ( like it used to ). It didnt show the storage bar like it's supposed to.

So, I thought I ran SeaTools, the Seagate Diagnostics software and tests failed due to bad sectors. So, I used a software called HDD regenerator to fix the bad sectors, it crashed midway and now the HDD doesn't show up in Disk Management or DiskPart or Explorer. It does show up in Device Manager as Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device for a minute before it disappears.

I tried Populate from Volumes tab from Properties in Device Manager and I get this : "Volume Information for this disk cannot be found".
I would like to recover the 3 TB worth of data I had in it, but I'd be happy if I could just use the HDD after this.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021
if it's still under warranty Seagate may offer to cover data recovery and\or replace the disk.

if not, you could try removing it from the external case and plugging it directly into the motherboard.
sometimes the connectors on the housing can go bad and cause issues like this.

I checked and the warranty expired on February.
I am a bit worried about opening it up myself, and I have a feeling it isn't a hardware issue.

alanvatrox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
On the device manager, have you tried uninstalling the driver for it and then doing "Action>Scan for hardware changes" to see if it reinstalls properly?
Also, does the drive spin? Since you mentioned it doesn't blink. Try plugging it and put your hand on top, if you don't feel it moving, try other ports, if it still doesn't work, try another computer, if it's still not showing up like normal, your drive is probably dying if not dead. A lot of bad sectors is a sign of that.

TRENDING THREADS