Question Seagate External hard disk not recognized in Disk Management

Jun 13, 2019
Hello! I have a Seagate Backup External Hard disk and while it was copying files it got disconnected from the computer. After reconnecting it back to the computer, it lights up and spins however its not recognized in Windows. I cant find it in Disk Management or File Explorer but I can see it in Device Manager. I have tried a recovery software but they do not recognize the hard disk as well. Is there anyway to recover the files on it?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019
Yeah i have tried another computer and other USB ports as well but to no avail. Would like a professional hard disk recovery store be able to recover it or is it dead? The hard disk still lights up and it spins but yeah just not recognized

You can try if the data is very important for you. Keep in mind, it will cost $$$. I did lost my data before too, like you by using the external HDD, it was gone and the data was gone with it. So now I back up my data (docs, photos) in two HDDs, one external HDD + one internal HDD.

Jun 13, 2019
Have You tried Diskpart from a cmd prompt. Use CMD with admin rights and then type list disk in the command window. Does it show the disk? If so, assign a drive letter to it.

Jun 13, 2019
I went on the seagate website and entered my Serial number and they said my drive is still eligible for warranty but after clicking product support it links me to a dead page.

No it does not appear in diskpart as well just in device manager. Okay ill get a quote on how much it is and weigh if its worth it and in the future back up to multiple hdd. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS