Seagate external hard drive is no longer detected by my computer. Not found in disk manager. Light is on.

Solution
If you want to test if the drive is ok or not then just plug the drive into a desktop MB directly as you used to plug an internal drive. There is no harm doing it and it would not destroy your PC.

The external drive maybe alright and it could only be the case has gone bad. If you want to throw it away be my guest. But before wasting money on a case/caddy/enclosure just make sure the drive is working. Its the only way to know. And there is nothing to fix on the drive. Good luck.

jvg

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I have tried it on 2 different systems with different OS. I don't know anything about opening it. I don't really see how to do that but I think I'll try because what have I got to loose. Everything on it is also someplace else because this actually WAS the back up. LOL and then it dies first.

jvg

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Thanks. I've opened it but i think anything beyond this is beyond my knowledge base. If I understand correctly, I would somehow now connect directly to my motherboard. I can't try that

jvg

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I have both but I'm not willing to mess with either one. This was a back up drive, so there is nothing on it that isn't some place else. I was just looking for an easy fix to get this one working again. I'd go further if I needed to recover data.
Thanks for your help.

If you want to test if the drive is ok or not then just plug the drive into a desktop MB directly as you used to plug an internal drive. There is no harm doing it and it would not destroy your PC.

The external drive maybe alright and it could only be the case has gone bad. If you want to throw it away be my guest. But before wasting money on a case/caddy/enclosure just make sure the drive is working. Its the only way to know. And there is nothing to fix on the drive. Good luck.

Solution

pentocrat

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Hi, I have same issue with my seagate 1TB back-up plus external hard drive, I tried all as you suggested. I opened it and connect it to my PC MB but it still undiscovered....please help..

Hamster88

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014

Dear Guy's,
I had the same problem with my external Seagate USB-Drive.
I solved the problem with an USB-Hub with external power device. It works.
It themes that the new mainboard do not deliver enough power for my model.

Regards Dirk

alif4636

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

What do you mean of desktop MB? I have connected to USB port, light is ON but HDD is not detected

Molly_6

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
This totally happened to me and I have a Macbook pro retina display 13in. What happened was I accidentally deleted the software that allows the Seagate to be compatible with Macs. All I had to do was re-download the software off of Seagate's website! Hope this helped.