Seagate external hard drive is write protected

mgc500

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I have a 500GB Seagate (USB) that was working fine before I moved. After move (and subsequent reaasembly of system) hard drive is write-protected ?? I can see the files and directories on the drive, I just can't alter them. There is no "external switch" like a thumb drive has...and I have gone back and forth thru the windows disk manager without finding anything. Using XP Pro for the OS...

Appreciate the help

G

I have had probably over 15 external hd's over the years and every issue I can remember was for the same issue. Cold solder joints on the power cable going to the hd itself. So look into you may just need to resolder or buy a new case

jaganreddy333

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Hi

Still u have writeprotection error....

Do onething like this...

Rightclick on externaldisk and select sharing and security tab then select security tab there u give full permissions to all users and save that u can solve that error..........
enjoy
futherqueries contact molagavallijagan@gmail.com

kaelong

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi, I also have a 500GB Seagate (USB) HD. I have experience the same issue - was working fine - then today not working. I can't write to the drive anymore. I can't change the security tab to modify permissions cause that requires writing to the disk and I don't have permission.
So now what?
Do I have to go into REGEDIT to fix this? If so, exactly what entry.
I have a HP-media computer running Windows 7 Home premium.

Thanks