Seagate external hard drive not starting.

Tyler_1

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hi so I have a seagate hard drive and I recently transferred a lot of pictures from my Mac to it. Then when it was done I unplugged it and wrapped the cords up. Now about 2 weeks after this I tried plugging it into my other computer and it won't turn on. I've tried two of the same power cords and it still won't turn on. Please help I have a lot of valuable stuff on there. Also what could have cause this to happen?

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

external drives (like everything else) go belly up sometimes. often the problem is with the enclosure electronics or the power source.
you can remove the drive from the enclosure and plug it into a SATA port on your computer.

Hi there Tyler_1,

Have you tried attaching the drive to a different system as well? In case you have done that, then I guess there is something wrong with either the enclosure or the drive itself.
In that case, you have several options:
- In case the data on the drive is really important, you will need to contact a data recovery company.
- In case the drive is under warranty, you can just RMA it. That way you will not get your data though.
- In case you decide to go with what gbb0330 suggested, keep in mind that this will void the warranty. Also, in case the drive has proprietary connectors or hardware encryption, this will not work.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD