Seagate external hdd not showing all of a sudden. SHOWS IN DEVICE MANAGER BUT NOT DISK MANAGEMENT!

Jun 6, 2018
Seagate external hdd not showing all of a sudden. SHOWS IN DEVICE MANAGER BUT NOT DISK MANAGEMENT!

As it shows in device manager but not in disk management, it cannot be formated or anything of the sort. It was working fine yesterday and I have tried it on different computer systems.
Have read a lot of online forums but none has been able to help so far. I have windows 10.

Hello sherrymota647, sorry to see you have encountered problems with your drive. Is is shown in the BIOS? Seems like the drive has become corrupted and the next course of action is trying to format it to see if you can get it working again. Sorry to say that this will erase your data. If you need to contact support you may do so here and check the warranty here. Best of luck.

I get that but if it's a disk error it can also be the carrier. Is it one with only a single USB cable? Some disks need power and data leads. Is the one you're using the lead that came with the drive?

Sorry it's more questions than answers but it has to be that way.

The only other suggestion I have left is to check in Services and change the default StartUp for the Virtual Disk Service from Manual to Automatic.

Find Services by Windows key+r then type in service.msc and hit the Enter key. My aplogies for assuming you didn't know that already. :)

I really am out of ideas. If that Service is running and not stopped, I can't blame Windows. Mr. Seagate has gone quiet and it's hard to say how the drive could cause this but it's worth taking up his offer to go to Support in case it's the unit itself that causes this.

If the problem was mine, I would take the drive out of the case and connect it using another unit. Connectors for 2.5" drives are fairly cheap but those for 3.5"s are more expensive but are usually able to connect the smaller size as well.