Seagate External HDD with USB 3.0 is not working on USB 3.0 port

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Hi,

I have a Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD, which is around 3 - 4 yrs old For the last 6 months or so its not working on my laptops USB 3.0 port but works absolutely fine on USB 2.0 ports.
One thing i am sure of is that there are no driver issues as other USB 3.0 devices(Flash drives) are working fine on the USB 3.0 ports and the seagate HDD is not working even on the other OS (Ubuntu, my laptop is dual boot)

Can anyone predict or have an idea what the problem might be. The HDD powers up on connecting to the port with the light but cannot hear the disk revolving. Is the cable responsible for the fault?

Solution
Even though both flash drives work on the USB 3.0 ports, mechanical drives require much more power in order to spin up.

Anyway, let us see if the cable would help.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there talktoarnab,

Is the drive recognized by Disk Management and Device Manager when attached to the USB 3.0 port? Have you tried USB 3.0 ports on different computers?
As drive doesn't work under two operational systems, then there are a couple of possible causes:
- There's something wrong with the USB ports on your laptop. This is why you need to attach the drive to another system.
- In case the issue persists, then there is something wrong with the USB cable or the enclosure itself. You can use a different cable and see if it would make any difference.

To sum it up: Sounds like a physical issue(cables/ports), you just need to narrow down the causes.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

Hi D_Know_WD,

The HDD is not recognized by device manager and disk management. Unfortunately i do not have any other PCs with USB 3.0 ports, but my notebook has two USB 3.0 ports. Neither of them are working for the HDD. My HP USB 3.0 flash drive works on both of them though. I do not have a USB 3.0 A to micro B with me now , but have ordered for one. Will check.

Regards,
Arnab