Question Seagate External Slim SSD not showing up in file explorer

Jun 27, 2022
As mentioned, my drive isnt showing up in file explorer. Its a relatively old drive (around 3 years) and I wouldnt doubt theres an issue with the tech itself but Id like to explore ways to get my data back first.

It shows up in device manager before removing itself around 5 minutes after being plugged in, Ive tried it with different cables, usb ports, and devices with the same effect. Windows tells me the drivers are completely updated and the hardware check comes up fine. After being plugged in it beeps a few times with a whirling noise inside.

Ive read that this may be a power issue that comes with age but theres important stuff on it and im not exactly sure what to do. If it means anything the light on the drive itself is very dim compared to the new one I bought to potentially transfer data.

Thanks in advance!

As mentioned, my drive isnt showing up in file explorer. Its a relatively old drive (around 3 years) and I wouldnt doubt theres an issue with the tech itself but Id like to explore ways to get my data back first.

It shows up in device manager before removing itself around 5 minutes after being plugged in, Ive tried it with different cables, usb ports, and devices with the same effect. Windows tells me the drivers are completely updated and the hardware check comes up fine. After being plugged in it beeps a few times with a whirling noise inside.

Ive read that this may be a power issue that comes with age but theres important stuff on it and im not exactly sure what to do. If it means anything the light on the drive itself is very dim compared to the new one I bought to potentially transfer data.

Thanks in advance!
You could try an alternate operating system. You could download a Linux live distro and mount it on a usb stick. Booting from that may help access your drive long enough to rescue your files.

Jun 27, 2022
You could try an alternate operating system. You could download a Linux live distro and mount it on a usb stick. Booting from that may help access your drive long enough to rescue your files.
Im a complete newbie at this sort of thing so please excuse my lack of knowledge;
How would I go about downloading a linux distro onto a usb, launching it, and then reverting back to windows 10 when all is said and (hopefully) done

Im a complete newbie at this sort of thing so please excuse my lack of knowledge;
How would I go about downloading a linux distro onto a usb, launching it, and then reverting back to windows 10 when all is said and (hopefully) done
You could download a linix distro like this one:

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=296

you mount it on a usb using a program called rufus from the site rufus.ie

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.18/rufus-3.18p.exe

you then boot the usb using your computer bios option to select the boot device; it runs and includes a file manager which hopefully allows you to rescue your files. If successful you just shut down the linux, remove the usb and boot your normal windows.

Jun 27, 2022
You could download a linix distro like this one:

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=296

you mount it on a usb using a program called rufus from the site rufus.ie

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.18/rufus-3.18p.exe

you then boot the usb using your computer bios option to select the boot device; it runs and includes a file manager which hopefully allows you to rescue your files. If successful you just shut down the linux, remove the usb and boot your normal windows.

I finally got enough time in my day to attempt it but unfortunately it yielded the same results, appreciated the advice though.

Seeing as theres very little chance I can pull it off myself does anyone have recommendations for where to take/send the drive to recover the data?

I finally got enough time in my day to attempt it but unfortunately it yielded the same results, appreciated the advice though.

Seeing as theres very little chance I can pull it off myself does anyone have recommendations for where to take/send the drive to recover the data?
You could start with Seagate; however "In-Lab Data Recovery Services are needed when data is lost due to hard drive physical failure. Without a Seagate Service Plan, recovery fees start at $499 and can easily be over $2,000 based on your data loss circumstances. "

Jun 27, 2022
You could start with Seagate; however "In-Lab Data Recovery Services are needed when data is lost due to hard drive physical failure. Without a Seagate Service Plan, recovery fees start at $499 and can easily be over $2,000 based on your data loss circumstances. "

Ill contact them, thanks for all your help

Reactions: dwd999

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Depending on the drive itself you could open the enclosure and try to connect the drive directly to your computer. Most likely it is just a bare drive inside of an enclosure with a daughterboard to give you power and a USB connector.

Jul 31, 2022
Depending on the drive itself you could open the enclosure and try to connect the drive directly to your computer. Most likely it is just a bare drive inside of an enclosure with a daughterboard to give you power and a USB connector.

They could have pulled a WD, let's hope not, but this is something to be wary of. USB connector is directly A PART of the controller PCB

bTXemz0.png