Question Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 NVMe WITH Heatsink on ASUS TUF Z590 Motherboard???

Bittu11

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Hey guys,
I have this Motherboard ASUS TUF'Gaming Z590 >< Link: https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-TUF-Z590-Plus-Motherboard-Thunderbolt/dp/B08VLNY3FG/
I was looking to install this 4TB-Seagate Firecuda 530Series NVME which comes with its OWN-STOCK HEATSINK on top of that M.2-SSD ><Link: https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-FireCuda-500GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B0977K3N1M?th=1
But my board comes with a heatsink-plate which will collide with NVME's heatsink i guess!

Can someone please tell
1:- I'll have to REMOVE Motherboard's STOCK/DEFAULT heatsink & USE THE NVME WITH ITS OWN HEATSINK?
OR
2:- REMOVE NVME's STOCK/DEFAULT HEATSINK & straight up install that NAKED M2.SSD under MoBoard's heatsink?

What is the best way to do this? What will you guys will recommend as way forward?

Thanks In Advance!:)

Last edited:
I'm not sure that motherboard can take full advantage of that drive's speeds.

Does "best" mean lowest temperatures?

If it does, you don't have much choice but to try both and experiment.

I doubt the difference would be more than 5 degrees. Would that be enough of a difference to make you think one of the choices would be wrong? If yes, you have to experiment.

It comes down to how disappointed you might be if you are wrong.

If somebody tells you to use heatsink A, would you ever know heatsink B was better or worse? Or would you live happily ever after?

Maybe one way is a lot easier than the other, but results in higher temperatures. You might be OK with that...or not.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I have this Motherboard ASUS TUF'Gaming Z590 >< Link: https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-TUF-Z590-Plus-Motherboard-Thunderbolt/dp/B08VLNY3FG/
I was looking to install this 4TB-Seagate Firecuda 530Series NVME which comes with its OWN-STOCK HEATSINK on top of that M.2-SSD ><Link: https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-FireCuda-500GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B0977K3N1M?th=1
But my board comes with a heatsink-plate which will collide with NVME's heatsink i guess!

Can someone please tell
1:- I'll have to REMOVE Motherboard's STOCK/DEFAULT heatsink & USE THE NVME WITH ITS OWN HEATSINK?
OR
2:- REMOVE NVME's STOCK/DEFAULT HEATSINK & straight up install that NAKED M2.SSD under MoBoard's heatsink?

What is the best way to do this? What will you guys will recommend as way forward?

Thanks In Advance!:)
I would at least take the time to examine each heat sink. From what I remember, when I installed my m.2 in my ASUS z590 Strix-e motherboard, the heatsink on that mb just consisted of a heat transfer pad glued to a cover (on that mb with leds). You could examine the Firecuda and see if that heatsink is any different. If it turns out that both heatsinks are just a pad glued to a cover then it might just be a tossup as to whether there's any difference. Might be safer to leave the Firecuda alone and just use it as is.

Bittu11

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I would at least take the time to examine each heat sink. From what I remember, when I installed my m.2 in my ASUS z590 Strix-e motherboard, the heatsink on that mb just consisted of a heat transfer pad glued to a cover (on that mb with leds). You could examine the Firecuda and see if that heatsink is any different. If it turns out that both heatsinks are just a pad glued to a cover then it might just be a tossup as to whether there's any difference. Might be safer to leave the Firecuda alone and just use it as is.

Alright from your response it seems like I can install that Firecuda SSD with its STOCK Heatsink while removing the motherboard's stock heatshield/heatplate without any major issues? If thats do'able I'll remove the Board's heat plate entirely & keep it aside & use that Firecuda in its stock original form!

Reactions: dwd999

Bittu11

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I'm not sure that motherboard can take full advantage of that drive's speeds.

Does "best" mean lowest temperatures?

If it does, you don't have much choice but to try both and experiment.

I doubt the difference would be more than 5 degrees. Would that be enough of a difference to make you think one of the choices would be wrong? If yes, you have to experiment.

It comes down to how disappointed you might be if you are wrong.

If somebody tells you to use heatsink A, would you ever know heatsink B was better or worse? Or would you live happily ever after?

Maybe one way is a lot easier than the other, but results in higher temperatures. You might be OK with that...or not.

Why my board cant take full advantage of that SSD's full speed? Please explain.

I'm okay with slight temperature variation as long as its not fatal to my built. Thing is i'm worried if i remove Seagate's heatsink, i might not be able to claim warranty if needed in future but at the same time one cant install Board's heatplate over & above M.2-SSD's stock heatsink.
If removing Board's heatplate wont cause me any significant I'll remove it entirely & keep it aside & will proceed to use that M2-SSD in its stock & original form, but if I install it this way, are you sure that nvme will stick & stay in it right place?

Last edited:
Why my board cant take full advantage of that SSD's full speed? Please explain.

I'm okay with slight temperature variation as long as it doesnt <Mod Edit> up my system. Thing is i'm worried if i remove Seagate's heatsink, i might not be able to claim warranty if needed in future but at the same time one cant install Board's heatplate over & above M.2-SSD's stock heatsink.
If removing Board's heatplate wont cause me any significant I'll remove it entirely & keep it aside & will proceed to use that M2-SSD in its stock & original form, but if I install it this way, are you sure that nvme will stick & stay in it right place?

I think your Seagate drive is 4th generation. That is PCIE 4.0.

I think your motherboard supports full speed on 3rd generation drives. PCIE 3.0.

The 530 will work fine on that motherboard, but it will run at 3rd generation speeds, not 4th.

See if you can confirm that in the specification sheets.

The practical difference between 3rd and 4th generation drives is very small. You might not ever notice the difference.

Which heatsink is easiest to remove and re-attach if necessary? That would probably dictate what I would try first.

How frantic you would get about temperature X rather than X minus 5 is your choice.

The drive should throttle if it gets in dangerous territory. You should be able to look in Seagate specification to find out the "caution" and throttling temps.

Bittu11

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I think your Seagate drive is 4th generation. That is PCIE 4.0.

I think your motherboard supports full speed on 3rd generation drives. PCIE 3.0.

The 530 will work fine on that motherboard, but it will run at 3rd generation speeds, not 4th.

See if you can confirm that in the specification sheets.

The practical difference between 3rd and 4th generation drives is very small. You might not ever notice the difference.

Which heatsink is easiest to remove and re-attach if necessary? That would probably dictate what I would try first.

How frantic you would get about temperature X rather than X minus 5 is your choice.

The drive should throttle if it gets in dangerous territory. You should be able to look in Seagate specification to find out the "caution" and throttling temps.

I haven't bought that SSD yet, so no worries as of now. I'm planning to get a 4TB NVME real soon tho.

Also my Asus on my my MBoard's page says this
"1 x M.2 22110 PCIe 4.0 x4 mode
1 x M.2 22110 PCIe 3.0 x4 & SATA modes
1 x M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 & SATA modes"

From what i could understand M.2_1 Port is Gen 4 & Remaining M.2_2 & M.2_3 ports are Gen 3 right? Correct me if i said or understood anything wrong, Myself not coming from tech background ahahaha!

Also : I guess i'll have refer to the spec sheets & also test those heatsinks one after another & CHECK-&-DECIDE!

I haven't bought that SSD yet, so no worries as of now. I'm planning to get a 4TB NVME real soon tho.

Also my Asus on my my MBoard's page says this
"1 x M.2 22110 PCIe 4.0 x4 mode
1 x M.2 22110 PCIe 3.0 x4 & SATA modes
1 x M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 & SATA modes"

From what i could understand M.2_1 Port is Gen 4 & Remaining M.2_2 & M.2_3 ports are Gen 3 right? Correct me if i said or understood anything wrong, Myself not coming from tech background ahahaha!

Also : I guess i'll have refer to the spec sheets & also test those heatsinks one after another & CHECK-&-DECIDE!
Only if you use a 11th generation processor then you can use the M.2_1 slot and get PCIe 4.0x4 speeds.

TRENDING THREADS