Question Seagate Firecuda SSHD Slow read times?

May 30, 2019
Hi Guys, I purchased the Seagate SSHD (st1000dx002) roughly 1.5 years ago. This is my main drive. My PC used to boot up within roughly 20seconds and is now taking 40ish seconds.. maybe more. Which I would assume is somewhat normal as it gets filled and what not. I checked the read/write with CrystalDiskMark and Im getting 75mb read and 150mb write. I also have 500gb free of 1TB. I then checked an empty 7 year old WD 7200 and im getting 120mb read 130mb write. Are these speeds normal for a drive thats half full or is there something wrong with it? Is there a correct Sata port that I should plugged into? I have an Asus Strix Z370e Gaming mobo.

Thanks =)

Ralston18

Titan
First thought: Have you backed up and verified readability for all data that resides on that Seagate SSHD?

Second thought: Have you run Seagate's diagnostic software on the drive?

If the drive has been functioning "normally" for 1.5 years then any changes may be warnings about a pending failure.

However, there could be other issues or concerns with respect to the host computer.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Be sure to include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

May 30, 2019
How do I do the first thing?

I have not but I certainly can run the software.

It didn't just randomly slow out of nowhere.. i've just noticed it getting slower over time. I really noticed it when I had the drive almost full.. ended up deleting 400gb off the drive which seemed to help a bit. Also checked for firmware updates and its updated.

I built the PC about 1.5 years ago.. so all the parts besides 2 are the same age.

Current Specs:
Asus Rog Z370e Gaming mobo
i7 8700
Gtx Strix 1080
16GB G.Skill Ram 2400mhz OC 2600
EVGA 650w 80+ Bronze
1TB SSHD Seagate (4333 HRS)
1TB WD (41279 HRS)

The Mobo and CPU is 2 weeks old as the other msi z270 mobo took a crap and I had to scrap the i7 7700k for the new mobo.

May 30, 2019
So I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows assuming thats what I should use. I just did a short generic and it passed. Tried the long Generic and it didn't seem to do anything after 5min? So not sure if I should leave it on the long generic or if there is another test I should be doing.

May 30, 2019
Well.. deleted almost everything off the sshd. Im at 24% used space now instead of 50% and its at 181/186 for read/write. Didn't think using half the drive would sap that much. Well.. time for the 970 evo for me.

Also.. boot time went from 38 seconds to 26 seconds.

Last edited: