Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB does not light up or register on computer

jayzeebe

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Greetings everyone! I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB. I have been using it for about one year. All of my data is on this drive. Lately, it seemed difficult to register in my MAC finder. I would have to wait a bit before it registered. Today, I went to the store, came back from the store and it is completely not working. No lights. Definitely not in finder without the lights. Will not turn on. Nothing. All of my data is on this external drive. What should I do? I cannot access the data or troubleshoot if it will not turn on. Please help. :non:

Solution
HI Jay,

If it is not getting power, it is either a problem with the USB adapter power/data cable system, or the HDD electronics.
To rule out the cable, use a different USB 2 adapter cable.
Usually you get, or can get an eSATA cable adapter for the GoFlex which would probably supply more power than the 2.5 Watts max from the USB.

If that doesn't correct the problem, you should take it out of the case and connect it directly to your computer via a SATA power and data cable.
If it won't power up at all, then there is no way to get your data back.

You chould have a plan to immediately move your valuable data from the ext GoFlex to another drive if it does boot up another time.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
HI Jay,

If it is not getting power, it is either a problem with the USB adapter power/data cable system, or the HDD electronics.
To rule out the cable, use a different USB 2 adapter cable.
Usually you get, or can get an eSATA cable adapter for the GoFlex which would probably supply more power than the 2.5 Watts max from the USB.

If that doesn't correct the problem, you should take it out of the case and connect it directly to your computer via a SATA power and data cable.
If it won't power up at all, then there is no way to get your data back.

You chould have a plan to immediately move your valuable data from the ext GoFlex to another drive if it does boot up another time.

Solution

jayzeebe

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Greetings John! Thank you for your feedback. I was able to secure another cable and the device is working again.

I could use some additional guidance. I have a desktop WD drive. It serves as my time machine. My laptop is backed up to the time machine but the GoFlex is not. Can I back two devices up to one time machine? If so, how do I complete this task? I have both devices plugged into the laptop. I see both in Finder but I am uncertain how to tell the MyBook to backup the data from my laptop and the GoFlex.

Could you please provide me with some guidance. I am a novice.

Thanks Jay!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Jay,

Glad it was just the cable.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Apple OS and time machine.

However, here is a URL that talks about multiple backups to the time machine
http://www.macworld.com/article/1146619/two_time_machines_backups.html

Might post that question on the Mac X OS forum here on Tom's Hardware, to get an accurate answer.

dryspoke

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

hello...

I seem to have the same problem. I tried replacing the USB 2 cable, it didn't work.

My 1 TB Seagate GoFlex external hard drive took more than the usual amount of time to get detected from the day I bought it. I assumed it was because of the large storage it offered. It has been with me for almost 2 years now. A few weeks back it started getting disconnected automatically from the computer. This happened in both Mac and PC (less often in a Mac, which I use.) Currently, it just doesn't work. The light in the hard drive sometimes doesn't light up or blinks. In all cases I can't access my data in the hard drive because it doesn't get detected.

I have valuable data and rare documentaries in my HD, I don't want to lose it. Please help me.. i need a solution.

- mohit

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Heran

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
Hello,
I also having the same problem.but when i connect the hard disk to my pc, there is a noise inside the hard disk.i think those are from platters.can you help me with it?thank you.