Seagate FreeAgent USB 2.0 Ejection problem

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,

I have a very specific problem which seems to only happen with my Seagate FreeAgent 500GB.
More often than not when I finish my work with it - close all related tasks and try to eject it, I get the error "Problem ejecting USB mass Storage Device - Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device..." (Win 7 64Bit).
Whenever this happens I use Process-Explorer in order to identify the related handle and try to shut it down. Thing is - whenever it's in this state it's also usually a system handle which causes this, and prevents me from accessing it and properly shutting it down.

I'm unable to identify the exact conditions as such that causes this state and am not sure how to get rid / avoid this annoying problem.

(It's worth noting that other USB storage device, like my SanDisk 4GB Flash Stick do not seem to present this problem at all).

So a couple of questions come to mind:

a. How do I solve this issue properly ?
b. In case (a) is not attainable - what is the long-run risk of force ejecting a USB storage device without a proper ejection?

Advice much appreciated.
Thank you!

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hello Dknow_WD and thank you for your advice.

I have already tried to switch cables / USB ports, to no avail - it doesn't seem to be related to the problem, as it sometimes happens on either combination.

In addition, the link you have sent me contains a reference to the sysinternals tweak tools, in which I already use Process Explorer for the matter at hand. Even with this tool, whenever I encounter such a situation, and identify the relevant handle by performing a search based on the driver letter only, it finds the relevant processes, but it's unable to close them on account of it being locked as a system process.

So - any suggestions on how I can avoid such a state, or perhaps shutdown such a process, which hinders a proper ejection, even by brute-force termination?

Thanks in advance!

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi there again,
PSB a link to a PrtSC image, which directly illustrates the problem:

https://goo.gl/photos/gfG8aQRwzMLkG1Vg9

I have just finished work with lightroom / photoshop / google drive ; And now I cannot properly eject the FreeAgent USB drive (the former were properly terminated). Via Process-Explorer, you may see that Upon searching for a handle, by the drive letter (h); some metadata system process is found.

When I try to kill it nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS