SeaGate FreeAgent USB drive causing boot failure

WhiteHawk

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Well I have been called in to fix a problem with a computer that involves it failing to boot whenever a SeaGate FreeAgent USB drive is plugged. This is with several different models of the SeaGate FreeAgent drive and across several PC's, an Antac w/Asus and a Dell.

I have only had a chance to actually look at the Antac, with the hard drive plugged in it will test the graphics card then freeze on the BIOS Intel splash screen, unresponsive to any commands, such as an attempt to access the BIOS.

However with the drive unplugged it boots normally.

From what I can gather, the same issue arises with the drives plugged in in the Dell with the computer failing to Post check.

sturm

Splendid
Try turning off any option to boot from a USB device and see if the problem still happens.
I have WD external USB drives and have no probs booting with them plugged in.

WhiteHawk

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
assuming this doesn't work, as I suspect, given it happens with several free agent drives on several different computers. What else could be causing this?

thebigdripper

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
you probably shouldn't have assumed that wouldn't work, as this is a bios setting and would be set different on separate computers. That said, i've changed this in my bios settings and I'm still having the same problem you're having. It would be REALLY nice to get this fixed, as I now have 3 external drives to unhook and hook up after each boot.

leon2006

Distinguished
Your USB port is overloaded or defective that it can't support the USB drive.

USB2 2.5 inch external drive are powered from the 5V supply of the USB-Port. If your USB Port have issues than it will drop the 5V below specification. It will crash your computer. When the computer is off...It will not boot-up since the USB port power(5V standby) is compromised.

Another potential cause is your PSU have low 5V STANDBY current. It gets compromised when usb drive is connected.

How many and what type of USB devices are connected on your PC? Its very common to see overloaded USB port due to many attached devices.

USB2 3.5 external drive has its own supply and should not be an issue.

One solution is use a POWERED USB-HUB.

What motherboard do you have? Try to use another USB port and see if it helps.

jonathan7007

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I have the same issue with a FreeAgent 750 on an Intel board no matter what the boot order is set to. A Maxtor external drive does not cause this problem on the same machine, using the same USB port at the back of the mobo (not a hub or at the side of the monitor, etc.)

This POST interruption has also been the case when there were few other USB devices connected.

Annoying.

Jonathan7007