News Seagate Halts Barracuda Pro HDDs: A Replacement Is Coming

Meh. This was/is inevitable.
As motherboards with multiple M.2 sockets become more and more common, and performance NVMe drives, at capacities 2TBs and above, are going on sale for 10¢/GB, spindle hard drive production will continue to slow down. I know traditional HDD production won't go away for at least 10+ years but the shift is already starting.

Just two days ago, I picked up a performance 2TB NVMe for $199!

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
As motherboards with multiple M.2 sockets become more and more common, and performance NVMe drives, at capacities 2TBs and above, are going on sale for 10¢/GB, spindle hard drive production will continue to slow down. I know traditional HDD production won't go away for at least 10+ years but the shift is already starting.

Much like car manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo. Maybe as a niche, but you'll pay more for that niche.

Me thinks the mongo drive segment (12+ GB) should still maintain a healthy demand though

mwestall

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017

Hmm, I just picked up a 16TB Exos enterprise for £280. That's £17.50/TB, Vs $99/TB. Plus, I'd need 8 nvme slots, I have 8 of these 16TB inside my case along with a pair of nvme for boot and scratch. All flash would be utterly unaffordable and physically impossible. So. I guess a long path still for spinning rust.

Yup. The bigger ones will be the last to go, along with the bigger SAS drives/NASs in the commercial market. Although, all-SSD commercial NASs are pretty commonplace now. Once those 8TB+ NVMe drives become readily available, at reasonable pricing, many home users that only need 3-6TBs of storage space will probably move to SSD-only.

Over the next 5 years we'll see small traditional HDDs all but disappear, unless they can make the new HAMR drives something like 2¢/GB or less.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Yup. The bigger ones will be the last to go, along with the bigger SAS drives/NASs in the commercial market. Although, all-SSD commercial NASs are pretty commonplace now. Once those 8TB+ NVMe drives become readily available, at reasonable pricing, many home users that only need 3-6TBs of storage space will probably move to SSD-only.

Over the next 5 years we'll see small traditional HDDs all but disappear, unless they can make the new HAMR drives something like 2¢/GB or less.
Maybe. But I still see a market for big HDDs in the future, even for home users. Smartphones can already record 4k videos, which take up a lot of space. Give a user one of those and some kids, and a drive can fill up really fast with all the party and travel videos. For this kind of storage, an SSD is a waste of money IMO.