Question Seagate hard drives not powering up!

ice-note

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
I don't know what's going on, but I am having SERIOUS issues with my Seagate hard drive.

A regular internal (3.5) drive that I have been using on a VERY light basis will not power on. Thought it was the enclosure, so I put it into another enclosure. Nope. Not working

When I unplugged the hard drive from the enclosure, however, the enclosure power light DID come on, signifying that it was receiving power.

Plugged in the Seagate hard drive --- power light goes off.

OTHER hard drives did not have this happen, so why is this happening with my Seagate?

Same with my Seagate EXTERNAL drives.

Power DOES NOT COME ON. Took out the hard drive and put it into a another enclosure.

Same. No power. And this is happening to JUST MY SEAGATES.

I just lost THREE FREAKING HARD DRIVES WORTH OF DATA.

PLEASE HELP.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you connect your Seagate HDDs directly to the PSU (provided you have desktop PC), do the drives power on? If not, what you're looking at are dead drives where only way to get any data off from them is via data recovery firm (which can cost a lot of money).

Oh, while Seagate drives are cheapest of the four (other three being Western Digital, Toshiba and HGST (Hitachi)), Seagate drives also have the worst reliability. Btw, i listed the 4 by the reliability as well, where HGST drives are known to be most reliable drives. Proof.

ISTM that you may have overvolted your enclosures with the wrong power adapter. Users typically use their laptop's 19V adapter whereas the drive's adapter is rated for 12VDC. If this is the case, then don't despair -- the usual result is a shorted 12V TVS protection diode. The solution in most cases involves removing this diode. That's an easy, no cost, DIY fix.

I can help you if you provide detailed photos of each side of your HDD PCB.

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

ice-note

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Sorry man. I didn't get this notification.

No I am not a mac user. However, I am incredibly new at all this hardware stuff.

Thanks for being patient with me. So, I basically just need to remove the PCB and remove the diode, then put the PCB back in.

I'll try.. Thanks man.

tony_parker

BANNED
Jan 15, 2019
Seagate drives are affordable, easily available, and known to be reliable among PC users and manufacturers. However, they are also among the drives with highest failure rates. There can be various reasons, which can lead to data loss from a Seagate hard drive, it can be logical, physical or mechanical failure. If you wish to recover your lost data then you can easily get that back using any data recovery software. There are many data recovery software options available online you can choose any one of them, download the software, run a scan on your affected drive & get the results. You can also check the below blog to know how to recover data from your Seagate drive : https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-recover-data-from-seagate-hard-drive/

Once you're done with the recovery & get back access to all your data after that I suggest you to contact Seagate customer support for their help on the hard drive either they will repair the same for you or else they will exchange it.

Hope it will be of any help.

In your second drive the 12V TVS diode is marked with "KVP + 06A". I would remove the diode and clean up the charred mess with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. Then solder a wire between the last 3 pins of the SATA power connector and the striped end of the diode ("v" on PCB).

Something like this:

ST1000528AS_wire.jpg

In the case of your first drive, the 12V TVS diode has an "LF" logo. Remove it.

There are two zero-ohm resistors near the SATA power connector. Flow a blob of solder over them.

Your PCB is similar to this one:

ST2000DM001_TVS.jpg

Last edited:

ice-note

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
How would you recommend I remove that diode? Just pull it off with some cutters? And just to make sure, the diode is the black square sticking up, right?

Is the soldering part absolutely necessary for the power to come back on?

Thanks for your patience! I'm such a noob at all this.

Last edited: