Seagate HDD beeping

Apr 20, 2018
Hello dear forum people,
I am new here. My issue is as the following:
I have an Xbox One 500 GB and installed a external Seagate HDD 1TB on it. It works well, though it makes twice or three times beep sound during it works. Till now I have not experienced any problem with the HDD but beeping sounds worried me.
I hope for your responses and helps.

Thanks

Does it work? If soo that could mean either the head that reads stuff of the HDD is jumping from one part to another, or the head is getting stuck,
Which one is making Beeping sound?
Download HDTunePro (free trial) and after you start it select Error Scan and start it (dont tick the Quick) after its done if it has "Damaged" sectors that means the hard drive is likley to go bad, if it reports all green its means HDD is all right.
And also you can check on health tab, Interface CRC Error count you can skip on it as it is an error from windows or driver.

You can also check with seagate tools https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

Apr 20, 2018

thank you very much. I'll write the results here after the scan completes

Hello babek.umudov.bu . Check out our Knowledge Base article on sounds a hard drive may produce. Below are some key points and please notice that our drives do not have internal speakers.

• Normal sounds include:

Whining noise during drive spin-up.
    Regular clicking or tapping sounds during drive access.
    Hard clicks when the drive heads park during power saving modes like Standby or Hibernation.

Abnormal noises include:

High-pitched whining sound can be an indication of abnormal function.
    Noises can be caused by mounting issues. This is due to either a high frequency vibration in the mounting hardware, or a potential drive failure.
    Repeated, regular tapping, grinding or beeping.
    External (especially USB-only) drive clicking or beeping at time of connection, often accompanied by non-detection problems.
    Seagate and Maxtor-brand hard drives do not contain audio speakers. Some failure mechanisms may make a regular repeating beep from the computer's internal speaker. This may or not be hard drive related. Check your system documentation for an explanation of system beep codes. If a drive failure is possible, it is always important to make an immediate backup.
    Two hard clicks at start up and then a boot error message or system shutdown is a symptom of a failed drive. Check your cables and connections in case they might have gotten loose. You can use SeaTools for DOS to diagnose the drive. If SeaTools fails to function properly or is unresponsive, replace the drive.

TRENDING THREADS