[SOLVED] seagate hdd driver board swap.

donpix

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
need to swap the driver board from a donor hard drive to my existing hard drive to get the hdd working again after a smoking issue. I know I need to swap the rom chip over as well. My query is the firmware on my drive is CC45. do I need a similar firmware on a donor board or can it be anything? Sorry if the question is kinda dumb.

Solution
It doesn't matter if the firmware is different because the original f/w is on the rom chip so swapping the chip over solves the issue. Obviously the donor driver board has to be the same, as suspected, as in the same board no. which in my case is 100535704 REV B. Thanks for being the only reply USAFret, the other forum was 3. Cheers

USAFRet

Titan
need to swap the driver board from a donor hard drive to my existing hard drive to get the hdd working again after a smoking issue. I know I need to swap the rom chip over as well. My query is the firmware on my drive is CC45. do I need a similar firmware on a donor board or can it be anything? Sorry if the question is kinda dumb.
For anything more than a 0% chance of success...it ALL needs to be exactly the same.
Not 'similar'.

donpix

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
ok so CC44 firmware won't work? The hard drive is a seagate

ST3320418AS so I was looking at other same hdds but the firmware versions are different.
What led to the smoking? Seems to be common with Dell and seagate from what I can gather.
What is a back up? Hmmm I recall backing up to an external hard drive but it's "somewhere" in the void.

donpix

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
It doesn't matter if the firmware is different because the original f/w is on the rom chip so swapping the chip over solves the issue. Obviously the donor driver board has to be the same, as suspected, as in the same board no. which in my case is 100535704 REV B. Thanks for being the only reply USAFret, the other forum was 3. Cheers

Solution