Seagate IronWolf Pro 12TB Review: The Best NAS Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring the warranty/data recovery service, does the Ironwolf Pro offer NAS-specific features that justify going with it over the regular Ironwolf models?

I saw the blurb about RV sensors, but the non-Pro model has it as well. The only thing I can see that otherwise differentiates them is the workload rating (180TB/yr vs 300TB/yr).

achilles174

Honorable
Sep 30, 2017
The impact is losing data is not unique to large drives and the solution is the same as it's always been - redundancy, whether it's RAID5/6 or ZFS. Yes, maybe you don't want to spend $1000 on two 12TB drives just for redundancy, but now you have a dollar amount to go with how important the data really is to you. In an 8 drive setup you'd still get 6x12 = 72TB.

Co BIY

Splendid
I'd like to see an article with a 2 TB HDD paired with Intel Optane memory cache up against the SSD drives.

With the proliferation of video especially security video I wouldn't be too surprised if HDDs set new sales records despite SSDs.

JP76

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Moved away from Seagate a few years ago after a bad experience with two of their drives on my NAS. I currently own 12 WD Red hard drives (2Tb and 3Tb) and had zero issues with them over the last few years. Other people might have a different experience, but I would take them over the Seagates anytime (even if they're 5,400-RPMs).

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I don't mind paying $400 for a drive if it'll work for 5 years or more. Seagate's reputation has seen it's ups and downs. It was a good idea to invest in quality materials and engineering, and then back that reliability up with recovery services.

linuxgeex

Prominent
May 20, 2017
See the Backblaze article on HDD failure rates. SiezeGate is by far the worst offender, always has been.

linuxgeex

Prominent
May 20, 2017
@JP76 See the Backblaze articles on HDD failure rates. SiezeGate is by far the worst offender, has been ever since they introduced the Caviar lineup, which is when they earned themselves the 'SiezeGate' moniker.

linuxgeex

Prominent
May 20, 2017
Oh, and BTW if you want to buy drives for a home NAS, avoid Enterprise and NAS-focused models. Consumer models are designed to last the longest. Enterprise and NAS drives are designed for performance first, reliability second, you pay more and they fail more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS