Seagate Laptop Ultrathin HDD Review: 500 GB In 5 mm Of Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Regular thickness drives are $60-80 and this one is mentioned to be under $100 with no price given for the consumer market. I wouldn't mind paying a small premium for a drive that utilizes 53% of the area of a 9.5mm drive.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Please Tom's, get rid of the new format for pictures having the caption as an alpha-blended banner overlapping the bottom of the picture. This article's second picture, which attempts to illustrate the thinness of the new drive, is ruined by the new captioning method. Use some intelligence and put the caption UNDER the picture. This is the way that has worked for decades in both print and online. Why change something that works for a system that fails?

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Who said anything about a HDD cage?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
There is one interesting use that I can think of. A new laptop, in place of the DVD drive, you can have 2 slots for ultra thin hard drives in addition to a standard SSD.

Allowing for a lot of extra storage, or RAID 1 bulk storage since it is common place for laptops to use SSD's now but it is also well known that you should always backup your important data and keep bulk data off of the SSD. (SSD= OS and applications only)

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Why not go with SSD? stop using these mechanical drives already, when I shop for monitor I can't find crt anymore, lets make it the same.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
jaber2 said, "Why not go with SSD? stop using these mechanical drives already, when I shop for monitor I can't find crt anymore, lets make it the same."

You can get an answer to your question in an article on this subject - the article on this page (if you read it)

Leamon

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
This technology should be used with iPod classics! They're so unpopular because the only ones who buy one are people with alot of music and videos, and the highest capacity they offer is 160Gb. That's not very much for movie files, especially HD/ Bluray ones. Apple might be better off adopting technology like this!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

The current hard drive based ipods use 1.8" 1 platter drives, not sure of the thickness, 7mm?
so they'd have to have a larger chassis in length/width but not as much thickness.
With current platter densities, Apple could put in a 250GB 1.8" 1 platter drive in their ipods

restrain_oligopolies

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Reliability?
I'm more interested in reliability than speed.
One would suspect 1 platter to be more reliable than 2, 3, or 4 platters.
The article doesn't mention how many heads, 1 or 2.
Again, I suspect 1 head more reliable than 2 heads.
Unfortunately, Tomshardware can't test 5 year reliability, but there might be data somewhere on improved reliability of 1 platter and of 1 head.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
the size of the drive is fine and dandy and all, but I don't see much of a benefit especially since the devices I use can't utilize the extra space.

Status
Not open for further replies.