[SOLVED] Seagate NAS #STCT100 File Recovery Options?

humdinger5714

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
Hello everyone!

Hoping for some advice regarding a Seagate NAS. I have the Seagate NAS 2-Bay, 4-Bay Drive Model #STCT100. Inside, I have two HGST Deskstar 3TB 7,200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" NAS Hard drives. Both the Seagate NAS and hard drives have been rock solid running flawlessly for over 6 amazing years. The NAS drive formats the hard drives into a SimplyRAID format (https://www.seagate.com/manuals/network-storage/business-storage-nas-os/raid-modes/)

So, my issue is that I accidentally deleted some data off my NAS drive. Totally my fault, user error. What I’m looking for help with is:

Is there any recovery software out there that can actually search for deleted files as mapped network drives? Or do all of them require you to basically pop out the NAS drive, and then connect it via a USB enclosure so that it appears as a local drive in the Operating System? I have not found one instance of recovery software that can attempt to do this “over the network”? Does something like this exist?

If not, looking for experienced recommendations on affordable and effective recovery software. Obviously something that is compatible with the SimplyRAID format and something you had good success with. Although there is a “Sticky” thread here that suggests Recuva and a few others, that was posted in 2013. So just curious to see what other recommendations others might have.

Well, thanks kindly for your time and any suggestions you can help provide!

Last edited:
Solution
You need a Linux PC where to connect the NAS drive(s). There's good chance the RAID is set as LVM, and you need actually to recreate and mount it before using any recovery tools.

Another option is to see whether you can get command-line access to the NAS, and how to build (that's right - you need to compile from sources) the chosen recovery tool for your NAS. Unless someone has already done this, this is much harder than booting Linux Distro off USB/DVD. You can try Knoppix for that, there are plenty of reconvery tools already there.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm not familiar with any that do this.

Recovering deleted files from a RAID is a nightmare in even the best of circumstances. To try to recover from a proprietary RAID alternative over a network? That's seventh circle of Hell stuff.

This is kind of the problem with RAID and why it's a bad idea except for very specific cases in w which availability of large sequential files is more important than data integrity. And anyone use RAID should also have a separate backup plan, because RAID is not a backup strategy.

USAFRet

Titan
Or do all of them require you to basically pop out the NAS drive, and then connect it via a USB enclosure so that it appears as a local drive in the Operating System?
That is not going to work.

Take a drive out and connect to to a regular PC, either internally or externally, and Windows will almost certainly want to reformat it.

For Recuva and similar, doubtful that would work either.
You could try it, though.

You need a Linux PC where to connect the NAS drive(s). There's good chance the RAID is set as LVM, and you need actually to recreate and mount it before using any recovery tools.

Another option is to see whether you can get command-line access to the NAS, and how to build (that's right - you need to compile from sources) the chosen recovery tool for your NAS. Unless someone has already done this, this is much harder than booting Linux Distro off USB/DVD. You can try Knoppix for that, there are plenty of reconvery tools already there.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS