Seagate or Western Digital ?

kintoki-sama

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2013
hello

i am planning to replace my failing HGST. I thought i could get a 7K1000 but my laptop supports 7mm and drive unavailability forced me to get a WD or Seagate. I am not able to go for a FireCuda or Black so i am thinking of one SEAGATE ST2000LM015(2tb) or WD20SPZX(2tb) and one WD10SPZX for total of 3 tbs. How are those drives ? I couldnt find reviews and failure rates about them so i'm extremely confused at this moment.

Solution
Hello kintoki-sama, the ST2000LM015 or BarraCuda drive is designed for laptop/mobile storage, all-in-one storage, and comes with 2 years warranty.

Along with 7200 RPM's, alll hard drives in the BarraCuda family come equipped with Multi-Tier Caching Technology. MTC takes your PC to new performance levels, so you can load applications and files faster than ever before. Also, applying intelligent layers of NAND Flash, DRAM and media cache technologies, BarraCuda delivers improved read and write performance by optimizing data flow.

Here is the manual and data sheet to that specific drive.

Let us know if we can answer any more questions; we're here to help.

No matter what you choose, we thank you for...
Seagate and WD are both companies I consider to make decent drives. I have bought MANY drives over the years (hundreds) and I have luck with both manufacturers.

It seems....from what I've read...that people tend to prefer WD over Seagate though.

Myself....I consider them pretty much equal.

Hello kintoki-sama, the ST2000LM015 or BarraCuda drive is designed for laptop/mobile storage, all-in-one storage, and comes with 2 years warranty.

Along with 7200 RPM's, alll hard drives in the BarraCuda family come equipped with Multi-Tier Caching Technology. MTC takes your PC to new performance levels, so you can load applications and files faster than ever before. Also, applying intelligent layers of NAND Flash, DRAM and media cache technologies, BarraCuda delivers improved read and write performance by optimizing data flow.

Here is the manual and data sheet to that specific drive.

Let us know if we can answer any more questions; we're here to help.

No matter what you choose, we thank you for considering Seagate.

Solution
I've never had any issues with WD drives and, when thinking about building a new system, they are the first vendor I look to for my gear. That's not to say anything bad of Seagate, but I have heard of issues with their drives over time. That's all anecdote mind you and your experience may differ.