Seagate Portable Hard Drive not detectable, light is on and beeps when plugged in. HELP!

Mar 6, 2018
Hey! So I’ve got a Seagate Slim Backup Portable Hard Drive that stopped being detected on my MacAir. The light is on when plugged in, and it beeps a couple times but then nothing happens!

Doesn’t show up on Disk Utilities, nor does it show up on the Paragon Drivers. Also bought a new cable thinking it might be that but still nothing. Tried plugging it into a PC, also only shows up in Devices and Printers. Just seems like nothing is able to detect it, although when I go into System Information on my Mac, it does show up under ‘USB’ but doesn’t display all the information as it should.

Have absolutely no idea what else to do, as I feel like I’ve done every possible thing except pay $$$ for data recovery (hoping it doesn’t resort to that). Anyone have any tips?

Solution
Assuming theres not some fix, you should be able to retrieve the data by carefully ripping the disk out and connecting it to a PC's sata port.
Its usually the usb controllers that fail on portable drives, rather than the disk itself.

fredfinks

Honorable
Assuming theres not some fix, you should be able to retrieve the data by carefully ripping the disk out and connecting it to a PC's sata port.
Its usually the usb controllers that fail on portable drives, rather than the disk itself.

Solution