seagate portable hard drive problems

mitchmatch

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
ok my hard drive worked fine until today i try to copy files from my desktop to the drive but the drive will freeze then crash i tried to check the drive for errors with the tool in properties but it gets stuck on 0% and last time this happened my computer crashed too. i cant format the drive as i have over 100gb of important data on it help please

i got to to transfer a little bit but then it stopped
BvNTZGB.png

Solution
Hello there, mitchmatch!

Sounds to me like you have to reinstall the USB drivers on your computer.
Go to Device Manager and under USB ports, uninstall everything from the sub-column, then restart your computer.
Windows should re-install the drivers automatically.

Another thing you can try is connecting the drive on another computer and see how it will react there.
Also try with a different USB cable, the one that you are using might be faulty and not supplying the external with enough power.

Do you hear any unusual noise coming from it?

Hope this helps. Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD
Hello there, mitchmatch!

Sounds to me like you have to reinstall the USB drivers on your computer.
Go to Device Manager and under USB ports, uninstall everything from the sub-column, then restart your computer.
Windows should re-install the drivers automatically.

Another thing you can try is connecting the drive on another computer and see how it will react there.
Also try with a different USB cable, the one that you are using might be faulty and not supplying the external with enough power.

Do you hear any unusual noise coming from it?

Hope this helps. Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution