Seagate Readies 12TB HDDs, Plans for 14TB, 16TB Models Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I swear on my life that if I have to look at this Tinnitus Remedy click-bait picture after every article one more time, which I've had to do for a few months now, I just might throw up on my keyboard and never return to Tom's!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I DON"T WANT TO SEE DRIPPING YELLOW LIQUID ON A FINGER GOING INTO SOMEONE ELSES EAR!

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
That's one nice thing about the old PATA standard that I really miss. You could daisy chain HDDs to increase capacity fairly easily. I remember using the "tapeover method" on my old 8 bit HDD controller card in my 8086 to gain the ability to daisy chain HDDs. It's too bad no modern standards allows us to daisy chain. 16bit controller cards could all do it, so the method was consigned to historical anachronism. What we need is a way to daisy chain cheap sata devices.

I run an add blocker and can disable it just for tomshardware but don't because the adds are very sketchy. If they were to switch to only legit tech related adds I would turn the add blocker off to let them make some money but nope if they want scummy adds I'm here on there dime. That is to say I feel you.

I have been there as well. Today this is done easily in software. Take a look at Windows 10 storage spaces for example or Intel RST.

Its mostly enterprises that want cheap, decently fast storage, and a ton of it. The cost for 20+ petabytes of storage on SSD's is much higher.

number1guy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
"JAKEWEARINGKHAKIS"

I get around it by disabling Javascript for the website. You're going to break the site a bit, and wont see any pictures for the articles, but it's worth it IMO. You will have to re-enable it if you want to comment and such, as I just had to do now. But I'll disable it right away once I hit "submit."

dstarr3

Distinguished
uBlock is much simpler. And I agree with an above comment, I can tolerate tasteful ads. But the ads on this site are completely tasteless and just obnoxious. Tom's, if you want me to support you, use ads I can bear to display on my screen. Not the trash you're currently using to line your pockets.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I don't see why will need 10++ TB for now. 1~2TB of *movie* is more than enough for me. Can always remove some old stuff before adding new one.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Seagate's 12TB will not be SMR , the 14TB will be. So 12TB is the top you can go without slow slow writes. Not bad for PMR of 1.5TB/platter.

Use adblock plus or blocker of your choice. I see nutting.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
@CKKWAN, 2TB would get you all the Star Trek series (TNG/TOS in bluray high quality, DS9, VOY in DVD quality, all the movies. And a bit more. 2TB is nothing these days.. Darn Comcast 1TB per month limit these days, can't be removing and downloading every month. Luckily 6TB 5400RPM drives are under $150 now.

3ogdy

Distinguished

Use Adblock and solve the problem yourself. Yes, THAT right there is the reason to use it. Support? No support for people promoting such bullshit. You either get to control what is displayed on your website because you care about your audience, or you don't give a duck about your audience, in which case, don't expect the audience to give a truck about your revenue streams.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

You see Ads? Adblock makes Toms look ok, its doesn't help the content though lol

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
SATA II added some mechanism for connecting an enclosure or backplane, via a single link.

That said, you'd be better off just buying a PCIe-based SATA controller card.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
NO reason at all for any consumer to buy a 10k or 15k drive these days. The 10k drive i had was great for an os drive back before SSDs, but those days are over.

I would love it if SSD's had parady with HDDs for cost/gigabyte. Id never buy another hdd, if that were the case. However, they are currently still about 5x the cost/TB. So, as long as thats true, ill keep buying HDDs for bulk storage.

Sadly, with HDDs going up in price a lot recently, it looks like cheap HDDs are ending, rather then SDDs getting cheap enough to match the cheap HDDs. Which sucks! Tho even with the recent price spike they are still a lot cheaper for bulk storage.

didgetmaster

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
SSD storage is still a lot more than 5x HDD in cost. You can buy HDD space for about $25/TB. Where can you get a TB SSD for less than about $250? That is a 10x price premium. Just about everyone should have a decent SSD for performance as the prices have come down but it still has a long way to go before we can put our massive amounts of bulk data on SSDs and be cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.