seagate restore failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatters

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
After being hit with a ransom ware app and cleaning my church's PC so it won't hit again, I am trying to restore from my nightly backup with seagate dashboard.
it restored most of my files (I think)

But there are a few critical files that it did not.
When I try to restore them individually I get the error "Restore Failed"

A couple of questions:
1) what would cause some files in the same directory to restore correctly and others not to.
2) how can I see in the dashboard app the file dates so that I can go back in time to previous versions to try to restore from there?

In further digging - it looks like the files that were restored correctly are those that were initially backed up when I got the drive. Files that have either been created or modified since then get this Restore Failed error. I see the files in the backup but they won't restore.
This may be a failure of the backup, not the restore.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Solution
See how the backups are stored on the drive. Some apps keep them as large ZIP files, other put them in folders with backup date, etc.

You should also try restoring them on another PC

Ralston18

Titan
I think you still have some options available:

The following Seagate link offers some other ideas you may be able to try via "browsing the folder structure for data". (Not sure if that is something you have already done with respect to "further digging".)

And you might look into using Linux/Puppy Linux as a recovery tool for the files that will not restore. Google "Use linux to recover windows files" or some such phrasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.