Seagate Rolls Out 4 TB Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Now........if only I'd get 3 Years Warranty from them again....[/citation]
Three years? Five year warranties were almost standard until the mid-2000s, then they dropped to three years for mid-range drives and one year for consumer/budget models.

Most of my failed HDDs crashed during the 2nd year so I am really skeptical of HDD manufacturers' claims that the reason they reduced the standard warranty to one year is because most drives fail within the first year... it personally makes me quite wary of 1-year drives.

On the other hand, all my 3+ years old HDDs are still working fine.

blacksummit92

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Personally i chose WB over Seage do to prior experience, and the warranty 3 vs 5, it is obvious to go with the one with better warranty although the WB tend to be slightly more expensive but you get what you pay for..

Now, would you have confidence in a hard drive that has 3 years warranty and 4 TB of important data on it ?

Not me... they need to find a way to make backup external hard drives last longer!!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
To keep the prices low the drives of today need to be made cheaper, and with the Chinese way of making junk with short life spans, they want you to keep rebuying more crap with short life spans.

The other BIG problems is that low grade crap creates more pollution winces customers have to replace their stuff much more often. This is not just computer parts... It's everything made from china today... He'll, Chinese stuff made 5+ years ago wasn't this bad. I'm including shoes and socks that lasts weeks. Toasters that costs $30 that look good but can't toast... They either burned everything to black or toast only one side... Then fall apart in 6 months. Unlike the $10 toasters from the past that would last you 10 years.
The $50 bicycle wheel I bought last year has warped or broken 5 times in 300 miles, unlike the previous 2005 wheel that lasted me 3000 miles! Nope, I need to get a $120 wheel to equal the quality of yesterday's $40 version.

A 4TB HD should have a 5 year warranty... It's not some USB stick that holds a few GB for transport, it's something that holds tons of people's data.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]Devoteicon[/nom]lol, I still haven't filled up my 320GB drive that I've had for three years.[/citation]
Same here. I have a 500 GB external that I am using about 50 GB on. The new computer I picked up yesterday as 1 TB drive, I don't see myself filling that up anytime soon. However, I said that same thing about my 80 MB back in the 90's.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Shockeray[/nom]Yeah, I don't know anyone that has ever filled a 1Tb HD, maybe 3D designers storing all kinds of full detailed models?[/citation]

I would think that many people have used more than 128 GB...(1 terabit)

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
4 TB hard drives aren't news, but wow. I didn't know that they've dropped to the $200 mark, not that I have been paying attention to prices. I'm glad there's more competition in the 4 TB zone now

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Correction: The new 4TB drives are not 7200 RPM, but due to the higher density it still performs comparably with most 7200 RPM drives while running cooler and using less power.

Review: http://theharddriveblog.blogspot.ca/2013/02/4tb-seagate-stbd4000400-desktop-hard.html

These new 4TB drives have actually been available for quite a while now (checked late February) :
http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/Product/217999

Copy n Paste by Toms, fact-checking by the readers. Back in my day it was the other way around.

On the Seagate website it says ST4000DM000 is one of the Barracuda 7200.14 models that is where the confusion lies.

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/desktop-hdd/?sku=ST4000DM000#

[citation][nom]littleleo[/nom]On the Seagate website it says ST4000DM000 is one of the Barracuda 7200.14 models that is where the confusion lies.http://www.seagate.com/internal-ha [...] 4000DM000#[/citation]

No. It's not. Your link shows it as " Desktop HDD.15". If you select 7200.14 4TB is not an option. The source even says 5900RPM. Toms just made up the 7200RPM out of thin air

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Three years? Five year warranties were almost standard until the mid-2000s, then they dropped to three years for mid-range drives and one year for consumer/budget models.Most of my failed HDDs crashed during the 2nd year so I am really skeptical of HDD manufacturers' claims that the reason they reduced the standard warranty to one year is because most drives fail within the first year... it personally makes me quite wary of 1-year drives.On the other hand, all my 3+ years old HDDs are still working fine.[/citation]

5 year warranties were never a standard feature for ATA drives. It has been the standard for SCSI drives since the 90's. Longer warranties for HD's are not an indication they have been made any better. Back when there were many HD makers it was sometimes used as a differentiator to make consumers think the drives were actually more reliable. Obviously some of you bought that hook line and sinker despite no truth to the suspicion. If you looked at the MTBF rating which was the actual prediction for reliability it didn't really change any as the warranty length moved around. As all the HD manufactures started merging and failing, it was no longer necessary to carry such a long warranty which could cripple the already razor thin margins.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Longer warranties for HD's are not an indication they have been made any better. If you looked at the MTBF rating which was the actual prediction for reliability it didn't really change any as the warranty length moved around.[/citation]
The MTBF is every bit as meaningless but at least the longer warranty has the benefit of being legally binding. If a manufacturer churns out crappy drives with 3-5 year warranties, the RMA costs and possible class-action lawsuits for producing clearly sub-par over-rated drives (ex.: IBM "Deathstar") would bankrupt them or at least severely cripple their bottom line.

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I've never heard a good story about seagate drives. My buddy went through two of them within 3 years and eventually switched to WD, and the drive has been running smooth for years. I personally just switched to WD as my two previous seagate drives each lasted only about 3 or 4 years. Had a buddy RMA his seagate drive that wasn't very old and they sent him what was supposed to be a guaranteed working drive and it was DOA. Now I realize it could have gotten ruined in shipping/handling, but still I have never heard anything good from them.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]kewlmunky[/nom]I've never heard a good story about seagate drives.[/citation]

That is because if it is "good", it's business as usual not a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.