Seagate SATA 1TB Hard Drive

Ninee

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I've seen this question asked before but I didn't see an answer for the question.

New build computer with Seagate SATA 1 TB hard drive, and 990XA-UD3. BIOS recognizes the hard drive but when I try to install Windows 7 Professional, Windows does not recognize ANY drives. I installed an older hard drive that I took out of another computer and it installed just fine. The Seagate is not recognized at all by Windows.

Does this mean that the Seagate hard drive is bad (its brand new) or is there something that I am missing.

hairystuff

Distinguished
You maybe using the harddrive on the raid controller, which means you need to get the drivers ready on a usb memorystick or insert the drivers disc that came with the motherboard or in the bios you may need to disable the raid function of the controller and use it as a standard disk controller or set the controller up as a native controller (legacy) and not ahci.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Jdogg_83

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

I had this issue this weekend when trying to do a fresh windows 7 install on my desktop and thought I'd share my solution in case any one hits this.

I had previously used the drive as a data drive and decided to make it my main drive. I had detached all other drives from the system and windows would simply say that it couldn't find any drive to install to.

I checked in the BIOS and the drive was found. Changing from IDE to ACHPI didn't make any difference.
Even more oddly, if I tried to install a RAID driver from the windows 7 installer, I could see the hard drive in the list of locations to find the driver on!

The fix for me was to reformat the drive. It was already ntfs, and after reformatting to ntfs again, windows 7 found it with no problem. I did my reformat by live booting into Kubuntu 12.04 and using the partition editor in there to do the reformat.

Hope this saves someone else a few hours of their life. :)